Big Day

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Big Day

Post by Kip » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:10 am

Classes have finally commenced in Palo Alto. They actually tore down the existing school and carried the materials to another site and built a new one. It's temporary for an indefinite time, but it'll do.
ImageImage

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:30 am

Is that the Catholic church down the road?
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:43 am

Stewmuse wrote:Is that the Catholic church down the road?
It is. The lady who financed it allowed them to put up the building on her property.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:37 am

Kip wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:43 am
Stewmuse wrote:Is that the Catholic church down the road?
It is. The lady who financed it allowed them to put up the building on her property.

Very good. While the people in the mountains may lack material wants, they certainly do understand and show community. Bravo.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Those dots at the end of the Spanish list aren't accidental. The list is the tip of the iceberg... Image

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:38 pm

So I'm waiting on Kristi to wrap up her school day so we can carry the kids to volleyball games and am noticing this (pictured below). It's the storm seal from the door of my truck. @Stewmuse tied it up there on his first trip, as it was broken and loose then. I'm realizing that come January that'll have been 3 years past. And I still haven't fixed it.

Story of my friggin' life. Image

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Kip wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:38 pm
So I'm waiting on Kristi to wrap up her school day so we can carry the kids to volleyball games and am noticing this (pictured below). It's the storm seal from the door of my truck. @Stewmuse tied it up there on his first trip, as it was broken and loose then. I'm realizing that come January that'll have been 3 years past. And I still haven't fixed it.

I’m just impressed that, knowing some of the places that truck has been, that it’s still on the road. At least you don’t have to worry about keeping the cold air out.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:26 pm

Barely on the road. The transmission has been wonky for ages, but suddenly got much worse this past week. I'm taking it to be looked at Monday, with no notion that it'll be good news.
Stewmuse wrote:
Kip wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:38 pm

I’m just impressed that, knowing some of the places that truck has been, that it’s still on the road. At least you don’t have to worry about keeping the cold air out.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Unrest has been growing for over a year in the face of unchecked corruption and devaluation of the Dominican peso (which has driven food and fuel prices up significantly). Huelgas (strikes/protests) have been frequent but localized, but tomorrow a regional huelga has been called, with shutdown for all commercial activity and public transportation (these unions are essentially mafiosos, and are the ringleaders). They've posted letters to all city businesses that if they dare open there'll be hell to pay, including firebombs and looting. Schools will be closed and transportation routes blocked as well. Should be an interesting day....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:19 pm

Kip wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:18 pm
Unrest has been growing for over a year in the face of unchecked corruption and devaluation of the Dominican peso (which has driven food and fuel prices up significantly). Huelgas (strikes/protests) have been frequent but localized, but tomorrow a regional huelga has been called, with shutdown for all commercial activity and public transportation (these unions are essentially mafiosos, and are the ringleaders). They've posted letters to all city businesses that if they dare open there'll be hell to pay, including firebombs and looting. Schools will be closed and transportation routes blocked as well. Should be an interesting day....
Clip a good cigar or three, opening a bottle of your favorite spirits, and then hang in the patio and watch the show!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.