Big Day

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Big Day

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:36 am

Morning all! Kip, I'm glad to hear your humor is alive and well. I'm not glad to hear about a Florida Avocado tree. Gag!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:55 am

It still hasn't sunk in fully that I live here now. It feels like I'll be packing up in a few days just like I've always done in the past. I guess it'll become more real once our possessions get here (we have received 9 of 27 boxes thus far). We've bought most of our appliances, and a little bit of furniture, but there seems to be a stumblingblock with everything - finding proper gas fittings for a stove, getting furniture hauled from the lady we're buying from to our place, etc. It's good training for living in this country I guess. We're pretty laid back folks, so we're doing OK at the moment. The guy who's supposed to be "fixing" the water heater has been here several times, but we haven't heard back from him in a while. Hopefully we'll have hot water soon :). This one I can live with - the heat makes a cold shower far more welcoming that I'd ever have thought. Here are a few things I've learned so far:

1. Island Time: That sh*t is real. Mañana may literally translate as tomorrow, but it doesn’t MEAN tomorrow. It’s more akin to “some day” or even “maybe.” If you’re the impatient type, you will not likely enjoy your stay here.

2. Mosquitoes. Consider yourself warned.

3. Why use a wire nut if you can either leave bare wires simply twisted together, or wrap about 1/4" of black electrical tape around your project (for the overly cautious). Also, if you don't have enough wire, just continue to twist together 6" pieces until it reaches the fixture you need to power.

4. This applies to both plumbing and electrical - If you disconnect something, don't bother capping or covering the loose ends. Let the next guy figure it out when water sprays all over the house or someone gets an unexpected shock. Also, if you can hook up forty-eleven extraneous wires or pipes that lead mysteriously into walls that'd be great. He'll love trying to trace your work.

5. Drive as if no one else is on the road. Everyone else does.

6. If it isn’t made or grown on this island, it costs twice as much (or more) as in the U.S.

7. Kids have more common sense here. This is probably because those who don’t probably haven’t survived this long. Best I can reckon, there are no warning labels anywhere. You gotta be able to assess your surroundings and behave accordingly.

8. Plantains can be prepared in at least 100 different ways; every one delicious.

9. No matter how hot you think it is outside, it’s probably hotter inside. A/C is not especially common. Enjoy it when you can.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:03 pm

Forgot to mention that this is an incredibly colorful, vibrant island with delightful people. As I told Craig the other day, I've never been more charmed in my life....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Hey! You need to change your "location" in your avatar/descriptor box!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: RE: Re: Big Day

Post by Kip » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:25 pm

Stewmuse wrote:Hey! You need to change your "location" in your avatar/descriptor box!
Done!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:52 am

In all seriousness, your points are far from only being humorous. I seriously think those should go in the handbook for those moving to a 3rd world country. It's funny, I think you knew to expect them (either exactly or in some form) but your post seems to contain a sense of both honesty and bewilderment. From my perspective, I'm left with both as well.

Very, very cool, my friend. I can't wait to hear all about every bit of it!

TomD
Tatuaje. Black.

Post by TomD » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:33 am

Do you have A/C in your house?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: RE: Re: Big Day

Post by Kip » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:38 am

TomD wrote:Do you have A/C in your house?
Nope. Appealing, eh? :)

TomD
Tatuaje. Black.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Big Day

Post by TomD » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:39 am

Kip wrote:
TomD wrote:Do you have A/C in your house?
Nope. Appealing, eh? :)
Uh, Nope. Lol.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:41 am

There are bars on all the doors and windows, so they can be left open most all the time. Cross breezes work wonders.