Big Day

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Re: Big Day

Post by jledou » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:23 pm

Honestly it has been slow in KC here too. Schools are trying to start back up but it is all fluid.

Glad to hear the water and electricity are better here.

If there is a way for us to get some care packages to you, let us know and we can keep you stocked up.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:04 pm

The bonus that has come from all this hubbub is a noticeable improvement to my Spanish listening skills. I don't hear very well, especially my left ear, because I blew out my eardrum when I was younger..and then spent 20 years working in furniture factories. I hadn't realized how very much I was dependent on facial expressions and watching the speaker's lips when conversing in Spanish. With everyone wearing a mask, I've been forced to focus more closely on what is being said to me. There's no real point to this post, other than I was trying to find something positive in it all :)
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Occasionally, English words make their way into common Spanish usage. Here's one that has shown up recently. It's the "pickup" lane at a supermarket....
20200815_113849.jpg
20200815_113849.jpg (182.32 KiB) Viewed 9132 times

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:12 pm

That's like a double wide Pi Cup lane for the mopeds

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:35 pm

So it's been a week or two. You still kicking down in the DR Kip?

Looks like Kansas is at about the same # of cases as the DR, not good considering the total landmass difference.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:56 am

jledou wrote:So it's been a week or two. You still kicking down in the DR Kip?

Looks like Kansas is at about the same # of cases as the DR, not good considering the total landmass difference.
We're good. Still living under curfew and many businesses aren't open. I suspect many of them won't reopen. The numbers here are unpredictable at best, and often conflicting from a singular government source.

I don't know anyone who's had it here...maybe. We suspect we may have had it back in January. Our friend William was hospitalized for 2 weeks with something much like influenza but tested negative for that. There was no Corona test at the time. The same went through our household, but less severe in February. I suppose we could have the antibody test but nobody has them in these parts. We're just following the rules with curfew and masks. Much of the population has lost the dedication to those things, but gringos flaunting the law end up in more trouble than locals so we do what we can to avoid both legal and viral troubles. So far, so good....

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:19 pm

I am going to put this out here because Kip started this one as a way to remember his trip to the DR.

2020 was different, 2021 will not be 2020 nor will it be 2021. You can let the year happen to you or you can make it happen in 2021. The choice is all our own.

I wish you all a Happy New Year and I can't wait to see what the journey of 2021 has install for all of us.

Cheers my friends!

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:13 am

jledou wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:19 pm
I am going to put this out here because Kip started this one as a way to remember his trip to the DR.

2020 was different, 2021 will not be 2020 nor will it be 2021. You can let the year happen to you or you can make it happen in 2021. The choice is all our own.

I wish you all a Happy New Year and I can't wait to see what the journey of 2021 has install for all of us.

Cheers my friends!
That.. is a long way of saying YOLO LeDou🤣
Have a happy New Year!
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:46 pm

After today’s shit show in DC (not BY our DC, if course), maybe we should all sign up for a tour in the DR.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:57 pm

Stewmuse wrote:After today’s shit show in DC (not BY our DC, if course), maybe we should all sign up for a tour in the DR.
Meanwhile, this country's politicians are trying to decide whether it should be legal for an adult man to marry a 14 year old girl.

I'm not kidding.

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal