Big Day

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Re: Big Day

Post by 815DC » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:37 am

Zedman05 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:45 pm
Yes it was Celcius. Varadero, Cuba.
Bring me back a peso stick or 2 lol. Jk man hope you have a blast escaping the weather :D

Got up to 50F here for a day, and I snuck a quick puff and coffee on the porch myself.
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:59 pm

815DC wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:45 pm
Yes it was Celcius. Varadero, Cuba.
Bring me back a peso stick or 2 lol. Jk man hope you have a blast escaping the weather :D

Got up to 50F here for a day, and I snuck a quick puff and coffee on the porch myself.
Speaking of that. I did manage to grab a 5 pack off a "gentleman" in the market. He was trying to sell them for 5 CUC for 5. I know they buy them for 1 CUC for a bundle of 25....so I wasn't having any of that. Got him to 2 for the 5 cigars.
Didn't know what to expect, but surprisingly good. I have had 8 CUC cigars that I threw out after a 1/4" because they were horrible (PL Picadores). These are good enough that I would smoke them a bunch, if I were on the Island. Stronger, sure, but I bet they are only a few weeks old. Image

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:32 pm

I've been somewhat MIA for a while. Lots of happenings, despite the worldwide shutdown. With all the CoVid stuff, we've been essentially locked in the house without running water since March. We get a trickle, 1 day a week. Not even enough to fill the cistern. We've been bumming showers and clothes washing from our cohorts. The water company, who'd be less than worthless in the best of times, is not helpful. They haven't been available, and the one time they were told me they can't find where my water comes from. I have no meter and pay a fixed amount each month. My initial response was to tell them to cancel the account....I bet they'd be more motivated to find the source then if I'm no longer paying. But that wouldn't get us any more water. I just wouldn't be paying. My options are move or buy truckloads of water (about $150/month I don't have). It's a whole big thing.

Anyway, that coupled with other goofiness in electricity, etc has led us to move to an apartment. One of Kristi's peers is retiring and moving off, so we're going to take his place. It's a good bit smaller, but cheaper also...and he tells us 1) It's never been without water, and 2) it has an inverter to keep minor things running when the power dips. This is all transpiring at the same time our current lease ends, so we'll be moving over the next 3 weeks.

I haven't been smoking much, and not really anything of much import. Mostly pipe blends I've spoken of before. I did recently fire up 2 special Don Carlos that were made for Carlos Sr.'s 75th and 76th birthdays. They were excellent, as expected.

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:59 am

Kip wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:32 pm
I've been somewhat MIA for a while. Lots of happenings, despite the worldwide shutdown. With all the CoVid stuff, we've been essentially locked in the house without running water since March. We get a trickle, 1 day a week. Not even enough to fill the cistern. We've been bumming showers and clothes washing from our cohorts. The water company, who'd be less than worthless in the best of times, is not helpful. They haven't been available, and the one time they were told me they can't find where my water comes from. I have no meter and pay a fixed amount each month. My initial response was to tell them to cancel the account....I bet they'd be more motivated to find the source then if I'm no longer paying. But that wouldn't get us any more water. I just wouldn't be paying. My options are move or buy truckloads of water (about $150/month I don't have). It's a whole big thing.

Anyway, that coupled with other goofiness in electricity, etc has led us to move to an apartment. One of Kristi's peers is retiring and moving off, so we're going to take his place. It's a good bit smaller, but cheaper also...and he tells us 1) It's never been without water, and 2) it has an inverter to keep minor things running when the power dips. This is all transpiring at the same time our current lease ends, so we'll be moving over the next 3 weeks.

I haven't been smoking much, and not really anything of much import. Mostly pipe blends I've spoken of before. I did recently fire up 2 special Don Carlos that were made for Carlos Sr.'s 75th and 76th birthdays. They were excellent, as expected.

Glad things seem to be turning around a bit for you Kip. See u in the wasteland of 76!
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:34 am

Moving. Not a fan.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:00 am

Just think, the water will be worth it!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:11 pm

jledou wrote:Just think, the water will be worth it!
Yeah man. I'm over here...just flushing *every* time I go to the bathroom and bathing any time I like.

#Priceless

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 am

Kip wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:11 pm
jledou wrote:Just think, the water will be worth it!
Yeah man. I'm over here...just flushing *every* time I go to the bathroom and bathing any time I like.

#Priceless

This little things are sometimes the best things! glad to hear things are less fragrant all around in the new digs :lol:

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:40 pm

You all still kicking down on there on the island?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:26 pm

jledou wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:40 pm
You all still kicking down on there on the island?
Yeah we're still hanging tight. The virus is still pretty prevalent here, so most everything is shut down and there's an early curfew. Our school projects will be closed at least until November 2nd because school has been canceled until then. Thankfully, we had a good stash of water filters so we're still doing that. Neither the Hartsfields nor us have a reliable vehicle to get up the mountain now, even with the road mostly paved. So, we've been focused in Cienfuegos where one of our school projects is located. Nick and I are distributing the filters as much as we can, but even that's limited because the area is heavily hit with the virus and movement is sometimes controlled. Also, of note, we moved to a small apartment from the house we were renting. It saves a little money and the water is copious :). Power is better and we have an inverter that keeps basics running when the power is out so that's nice.