Big Day

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Big Day

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Kip wrote:Went down to the local barber shop for a haircut.... so they fixed me right up. Just like the old school barber shop my Dad took me to when I was a kid, only en Español....
Wait. I see your avatar. What hair to cut? :-)
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:36 am

I know these posts seem pretty random and mundane. Just throwing down notes in a place I can come back to as (lack of) memory requires.

In short order, I've come to love morning here. I usually take my medication and hit the balcony about 6 to read, smoke, drink coffee and listen to the city wake up. The roosters go off any time day or night, but about 6:15 starts with an occasional dog and car alarm.....then follows plenty of faraway music and the smell of someone's breakfast efforts. If I ever track down who's concocting that delicious aroma, I'm inviting myself to their house for a morning meal.....
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 am

Kip wrote:I know these posts seem pretty random and mundane. Just throwing down notes in a place I can come back to as (lack of) memory requires.

In short order, I've come to love morning here. I usually take my medication and hit the balcony about 6 to read, smoke, drink coffee and listen to the city wake up. The roosters go off any time day or night, but about 6:15 starts with an occasional dog and car alarm.....then follows plenty of faraway music and the smell of someone's breakfast efforts. If I ever track down who's concocting that delicious aroma, I'm inviting myself to their house for a morning meal.....
There were times when I thought you were brave, not to mention sort of crazy, for planning this move abroad. After reading this post, I'm pretty sure we're the brave ones for dealing with the day to day of American life. You might just have it figured out, Kip. Awesome.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 am

Besides the random percussive concerts, a few of the Haitian gents working on the building across the street like to sing. I don't understand a single word of their Creole, but love to listen in. Their songs have a very bluesy vibe to them, and the Blues is universal....

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Kip wrote:Their songs have a very bluesy vibe to them, and the Blues is universal....
Truer than true!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:27 am

The last of our possessions were just delivered by the cargo company. We had a number of broken glasses, picture frames, etc throughout this process, but overall it went better than I expected. I haven't noticed anything missing either, which was a concern coming through Customs inspections. Of course, nothing electronic went in boxes. We carried all that with us on the plane.....including a 32" television that United/American Air actually got here safely in the belly of a plane.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:11 am

Kip wrote:The last of our possessions were just delivered by the cargo company. We had a number of broken glasses, picture frames, etc throughout this process, but overall it went better than I expected. I haven't noticed anything missing either, which was a concern coming through Customs inspections. Of course, nothing electronic went in boxes. We carried all that with us on the plane.....including a 32" television that United/American Air actually got here safely in the belly of a plane.
Boorah!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 am

Pump on the cistern went out yesterday. No water for a while. Who knows how long it'll take to get someone here to fix that....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:46 am

Kip wrote:Pump on the cistern went out yesterday. No water for a while. Who knows how long it'll take to get someone here to fix that....
Time for the stout, 6-foot stick laid across your shoulders with a bucket dangling from each end. Good luck, man...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:09 am

Hmm. We've figured out that there's some type of spring loaded pressure switch at the pump that is malfunctioning. We can tap it and it will cycle the pump on....for one cycle. After it cuts off, the switch no longer works again. So, we have water a bit at a time until we get someone who can fix it.