Big Day

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Big Day

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:05 am

Kip wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 pm
Those of you connected to me on Facebook can see some pics of the school. Connie tagged me in some photos we took at the school today. I can't share them outside of Facebook, so you'll have to be my friend to see them....
I saw them and was pretty shocked from how I remember it just 8 months ago. Not good...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Power's out (surprise). I'm hot and pissy (another surprise).

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:11 pm

We've been having increasingly rowdy nationwide protests over LP Gas prices, which are set by the government. Tonight we have to drive through an area that's been in the thick of it today (it's the sector our English night classes are in), with windshields busted, tear gas launched, and shots fired. I reckon we'll try to avoid the worst areas but have to admit I'm a bit nervioso.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Good luck, hopefully they put some thought into you trying to help them and not be associated with the government.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Turns out to be moot. The guy who runs the school told us not to come because they're burning tires in the streets throughout the neighborhood. We couldn't get there anyway

The Banker
Churchill

Post by The Banker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Glad to hear you dont have to risk it. Stay safe!

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:03 pm

I am always somewhat amazed at peoples response to having nothing and crappy living conditions to be violence, rioting, and thus making their situation worse. I mean if your going to burn tires cuz you are mad do it outside a gov't facility or some resorts along with some real protesting. Or better yet come up with solutions. I know that is easier said than done, and that my 'privilege' is showing- but whatever.
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 pm

815DC wrote:I am always somewhat amazed at peoples response to having nothing and crappy living conditions to be violence, rioting, and thus making their situation worse. I mean if your going to burn tires cuz you are mad do it outside a gov't facility or some resorts along with some real protesting. Or better yet come up with solutions. I know that is easier said than done, and that my 'privilege' is showing- but whatever.
They do. It's common to protest at govt buildings. More common is to do it on major thoroughfares, because blocked traffic arteries get attention quickly.

This time it's the public car drivers. They're shutting down the most widely used mode of transportation in the 2 major cities. We'll see how it shakes out in the days to come. Most likely, the govt will drop the price just enough to shut people up, then inch it back up until somebody yelps again. Life in a banana republic is nothing if not cyclical....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Kip wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 pm
Turns out to be moot. The guy who runs the school told us not to come because they're burning tires in the streets throughout the neighborhood. We couldn't get there anyway

How come they don’t do any of this fun stuff when I’m there? I feel kinda cheated...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:33 am

Stewmuse wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:02 pm
How come they don’t do any of this fun stuff when I’m there? I feel kinda cheated...
They do. These huelgas (strikes/protests) occur all the time. It's the default mode of protest. I have planned routes around them while you were down :).

In fact, huelgas are the most organized thing about this country. They usually get the word out for dates/times/locations well ahead of time. The area near my kids' school is common ground for protest...and they always call ahead of time and tell the school how rowdy it's expected to get so they know when to cancel classes and have the kids not be there :D .