Half Ashed: Friday August 8th, 2014

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Half Ashed: Friday August 8th, 2014

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:47 pm

For those of you who haven't heard, Kip posted this earlier.
Kip wrote:My Dad passed away this morning, after battling a brain tumor since early this year. I wasn't really in the mood for a cigar, but needed something that felt "normal" to fill some time before we head up to Tennessee. Picked out a My Father lancero.
...just a hillbilly, Tappin' and a-Talkin'
To say I am heartbroken for him would be an understatement.

I will be in contact with our usual subs to bring you this upcoming Friday's show at our regularly scheduled time. Kip will obviously not be broadcasting.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Half Ashed: Friday August 8th, 2014

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:49 pm

Well... fuck. That sucks big time. I encourage everyone to send Kip their condolences. Peace, men...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Quikstryke
Capitán Impresionante

Post by Quikstryke » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Thats damn sad news.. I sent him an email.. Craig if you hear of anything we can do please let me know!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:22 am

Guys,
First of all, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't about me and I don't want to make it seem as if it is. Kip's loss is immeasurable and unfortunately something that we all have to deal with. I handle stuff differently than others and I handled the passing of Tony in an unexpected way. I don't know exactly why I'm telling you all of this but for some reason it feels like you should know.

I withdrew from cigars when Kip let me know about his dad. I don't know why. I didn't want one and frankly, I didn't even want to do the show last friday. Luckily, getting to play around with an old friend had its draws and I am absolutely thankful that I had Bob there to laugh with.

Let's admit the facts here. I have spent all of 3 days with Kip in my entire life and they all occurred in 2012 during the Dogwatch Cigar Radio "annual" listener herf. I feel like I'll always associate cigars with him, but I'm not implying that's a bad thing. Cigars are one of the great pleasures in my life and Kip is one of the great guys. When a dear friend of mine let me know of a deep and painful loss, I felt for him. I'd never met Tony. I didn't need to. I knew Kip and I knew of his pain and it became a little bit of my own. "Enjoying" a cigar felt foreign to me, almost a betrayal. I don't have them enough for them to be a part of my everyday life so they still fall under the umbrella of "life's indulgences" for me.

Is this all a bit odd? Perhaps, but I certainly don't regret my thoughts on the matter. What I do look upon with some distaste is the fact that I've withdrawn from other friends in the wake of all this. I apologize to you all for that. I wish I would have been more in the frame of mind to keep up my appearances but at least now you understand why I did not.

As I truthfully explain my absence last week, I also have to let you know of my upcoming one as well. As I said on last week's show, I am going to be out of town this week. I'll be back to the land of the living next Monday but my presence here and on the show will be missing for the next 4 days. Fear not, I'm scheduled to be absent, not withdrawing, a touch, like last time.
Be well!