I broke my tongue

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Quikstryke
Capitán Impresionante

I broke my tongue

Post by Quikstryke » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:50 pm

So ive had tongue bite from pipe smoking but this is 1000x worse. I burnt my tongue on hot pizza so bad its peeling.. Any suggestions out there for a pain and healing remedy? Anyone else ever do anything this dumb?
Needless to say cigar smoking is on vacation for a bit...

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: I broke my tongue

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:18 am

Your TONGUE is peeling???!!!! Yumpin' yimmineees... Fortunately, the mouth tends to heal pretty fast. Just don't eat anything like Triscuits for awhile, either. Good luck...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Quikstryke
Capitán Impresionante

Post by Quikstryke » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:30 am

Triscuts? Gotta ask why lol

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re:

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:53 am

Quikstryke wrote:Triscuts? Gotta ask why lol
Oh my goodness. Triscuits are the sandpaper of edible food. That's why!

Ugh. I'd alternate gargling with peroxide then salt water. The peroxide should help eliminate some of that peeled skin (?). The salt water should disinfect for cleaner healing. I'm actually less concerned about your heal time (Mike is correct in my experiences. Mouths seem to heal quickly) and more about your ability to taste in the future. Do "buds" return after being burnt off? I'll be anxiously awaiting your return to normality.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Re:

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:16 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Quikstryke wrote:Triscuts? Gotta ask why lol
Oh my goodness. Triscuits are the sandpaper of edible food. That's why!

Ugh. I'd alternate gargling with peroxide then salt water. The peroxide should help eliminate some of that peeled skin (?). The salt water should disinfect for cleaner healing. I'm actually less concerned about your heal time (Mike is correct in my experiences. Mouths seem to heal quickly) and more about your ability to taste in the future. Do "buds" return after being burnt off? I'll be anxiously awaiting your return to normality.
As long as there's no nerve damage, his taster will be off two weeks max. The cells die off and get replaced about that frequently anyway. IF the nerves in the area are damaged, he'll have to wait until his body figures out how to re-innervate (no, I don't mean renovate) the area. That could take a while longer, but will come back.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:19 am

If the skin is peeling, it sounds like a second-degree burn (blistered). Normally, this is superficial and will return to normal. If it hurts...you're good. If not, you may have to wait on those nerves mentioned above.

Watch out for infection though. If it is a blister and you keep it irritated, it could turn fast. Get some Biotene mouthwash. It won't burn the way alcohol-based ones do.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Quikstryke
Capitán Impresionante

Post by Quikstryke » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks all!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

I broke my tongue

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:29 am

Kip wrote:If the skin is peeling, it sounds like a second-degree burn (blistered). Normally, this is superficial and will return to normal. If it hurts...you're good. If not, you may have to wait on those nerves mentioned above.

Watch out for infection though. If it is a blister and you keep it irritated, it could turn fast. Get some Biotene mouthwash. It won't burn the way alcohol-based ones do.
Good call on most above. The only thing I question is the nerves being able to "re-innervate". I thought our nervous system never grew new it could just "reconnect". No?

You've been Tapatalk'd

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:56 am

Yes. No new production. It just finds new pathways to accomplish the same goal.

CigarMan4Life
Petit Robusto

Post by CigarMan4Life » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Central nervous system nerves (i.e., brain and spinal) don't grow back or reconnect, but the peripheral nervous system which is everything else, does have the ability to regrow and reconnect. Actually very fast, like 2 millimeters a day. Yep, your right on. the tastes buds regrow complete sets in 2 weeks.
"Passion has helped us; but can do so no more. It will in future be our enemy. Reason, cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason, must furnish all the materials for our future support and defence." - Abraham Licoln