2014. A year of extremes...

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

2014. A year of extremes...

Post by Kip » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm finally home from the holidays in TN, and have a minute to smoke a cigar - my first in almost a week because of the congestion I've been enduring. I can taste! So, I just lit up an Ezra Zion Tantrum PA and sat down to catch up here on the site and pull some updates.

2014 has been a roller coaster year. While we had some of the most exciting developments of our lives with the call to drop our jobs and possessions for a move to a third world country, there was plenty of ugliness as well. My Dad being diagnosed and subsequently succumbing to a brain tumor at a very young 59 years of age, my own (albeit more tame) tumor just a few weeks after, job woes, friend and family struggles we've had to watch fall apart, and even this week having to pass along our dog of the past 5 years to a new home (we couldn't justify the expense of taking her to the DR, and knew a family who would care for her in TN)....this year has been the most stressful of my first 41, and frankly I'm beat. Weary, even.

I have a history of letting crap get to me too much and stress/worry too much. In a strange twist, as I sit here I'm overcome with optimism for the upcoming 2015. Today is the 24th anniversary of my first date with the lady who would later become my bride - and who has been an indescribably huge support for me. She's my friggin' backbone. I have two awesome kids who are generally well behaved, mannered and good-hearted. I'm getting back in the groove with the move - I basically fell into a bad slump since October; it's hard to go beat the bushes and drum up support for a move not knowing all the details of how this whole health situation would work out. I've learned that the available medications and care in the DR will be suitable, so as of this past week we're back on track. Our original plan was to move this month (December), but with all the hubbub it's been moved back. New goal: late April/early May. On that front, we have some things in the works post-move that will blow the socks off Half Ashed listeners (Super-secret-squirrel stuff; y'all are gonna love it!)

It's real easy for me to focus on what I find bothersome and lose sight of all the blessings for which I should be thankful. Tonight, I'm reminding myself of those things. I count Half Ashed and this group of guys on that list. I love what we do on Friday nights, and throughout the week here on the forum. The community is growing and I'm eating it up. Love it.

If any of you have these same tendencies, I encourage you to do the same. Welcome 2015 in the light of the good in front of you - not any negativity from last year. I'm consciously trying to welcome 2015....not flip off 2014.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: 2014. A year of extremes...

Post by Kip » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:16 pm

While sitting here all sofisterated & solitudinous, the neighbors have an absolutely out o' control loud party going on. He just rang the bell and dropped off a few plates of muy delicioso empanadas, beans & rice, roast pork and more....that party doesn't seem nearly so loud any more! More power to 'em!

Friggin' empanadas are off the chain good. Once they're sober, somebody is going to teach me how to make them.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:42 pm

k.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:24 pm

Coo

Cigar F^iend

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:49 pm

Dead. To. Me.

Just a hillbilly, Tappin and a-Talkin

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:34 am

Zed just became my favorite person

You've been Tapatalk'd

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:29 am

Well, it just turned 2015 here.
I am hopeful for all this coming year can bring.
I too love the cigar community, and all the fun and intrigue I get from it. I now have so many new friends now here online, as also in town just due to the cigar community. For that I am truely grateful.
I would love for 2015 to be as good, cigar wise, as 2014 was. It was good in new products, aquired products, smoked products and general quality overall.

I hope that 2015 is good to the rest of you, cigar and life-wise.
Thanks to all that have been around and made this place fun so far.

Cigar F^iend

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:47 am

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... nref=story

These ladies helped my band finish up 2014 and twerk off 2015. Enjoy!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:32 pm

I wouldn't know what to do there. I came for a band, and got that in the intermission. Not to say it was bad at all, just not what I would be expecting if a precison band was the main act.

Cigar F^iend

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Oh, I doubt that "precision" is an often-used word in our description!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.