The Lifestyle: Health & Home

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

The Lifestyle: Health & Home

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 am

While not cigar content related this is still technically cigar related, but I'm a moderator and you can bite me if you don't like that I've put it in this room :lol:

Does anyone run into "trouble" while smoking cigars? I have a wife in the medical field and we couldn't view cigar consumption in two more different ways. As many of you know, I have two young boys. My wife is so staunchly against cigars that she does not want me to smoke in front of them. She is of the mindset that if smoking anything has an acceptable place in our child's mind that it could increase the risk of them smoking in the future. While I can't possibly disprove an unscientific opinion, we have compromised by me being able to smoke inside, in my smoking room (I built a rustic ventilated room in my basement when we moved into the house). She refers to this room as my "Stinky Room" and my children follow suit.

This really isn't a bone of contention between the two of us but I wish it to be different. I want a lazy Sunday afternoon of sitting on my deck, smoking a cigar, playing a game as a family and just having it be accepted.

I've gone the route of trying to research medical studies on the effect of cigar smoking on one's health but have not turned up studies that have looked at the type of cigars we smoke, the frequency, the lack of inhalation, etc. I would love it if this forum could provide that knowledge. Does anyone know of anything out there that could be "stickied" for all of our benefit? Does anyone else deal with opposition on the homefront?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: The Lifestyle: Health & Home

Post by Kip » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:51 am

Good luck finding that. Many of the earlier Surgeon General studies were "favorable" toward cigar and pipe smokers....or at least as favorable as can be expected. Even then (1964 and 1982, if I remember the proper study years), the studies were very much skewed to cover cigarette usage. I believe in the original study that spawned the 1964 SG report on the ill effects of cigarette smoking, that pipe smokers in the study were reported to have lived about 20% longer than the non-smokers. Is that because they smoked a pipe? Not likely. I'd guess it's more likely that the personality type that smokes a pipe is more likely to be laid back with a calm disposition and such that probably lead to a longer life on average.

By the time serious studies even began to take place, cigar and pipe smoking had dropped off in favor of cigarettes, so there's not a whole lot of research on such small portions of the public. And these days, with the political implications no one wants to publish something in favor of ANY kind of smoking (except cannabis, maybe)....so not much chance of seeing positive results come out, even if they are reached.

If it helps any, Kristi was not a big fan of the cigars early on, but has softened considerably over the years. CONSIDERABLY. She'll even have one every blue moon. The first several years of our marriage she was very much in the stinky/unhealthy camp of opinions on cigars....
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:28 pm

I hear you loud and clear and have come across much of that myself. Actually, why don't I share links to different studies I've perused. That might be beneficial as a whole.

You've been Tapatalk'd

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:12 pm

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:56 pm

When I started dating my wife, my cigarette smoking was non-negotiable for her. Needless to say I gave it up, but kept having the occasional cigar. We just ha our 7th anniversary and following the trend, this has been my "biggest" cigar year. Every year she's gotten more tolerant (especially since I gave up drinking, too) and now loves the science, art, and passion that is involved with cigars. All it took was time and actively educating her about my hobby. I still can't smoke in the house, but I can walk through with a stick in my mouth to grab stuff like books or grilling items. I get "the look" if I linger too long, but generally she is very accepting if it. As for my kids, they love to smell new cigars that I get. When their friends ask "why is your dad smoking?" They respond by explaining that cigars are different then cigarettes. That's a big win!! So keep at it, Craig. She'll come around in time. :)

Kid Corona

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Good stories. Keep em coming!

You've been Tapatalk'd

Coop
Payaso Cigarro

Post by Coop » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Does she chew gum? Does she drink diet pop, or pop in general?

If she chews gum, Look up the ingredients in gum and how they can give you cancer.

If she drinks pop/diet pop there are tons of info on those ingredients and how they are awful for you.

You smoke natural plant leaves from the earth.... See what direction the clown is rolling with this?

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:01 pm

That's actually a great angle but she is gum, soda and usually liquor free. Damn puritans!

You've been Tapatalk'd

Coop
Payaso Cigarro

Post by Coop » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Liquor free... Ouch!!!

There has to be something she eats, drinks, or activity that you can use as leverage for your own argument

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:51 pm

She's not liquor free but infrequent in everyday life. I like the strategy. I'll advance it a bit.

You've been Tapatalk'd