The Lifestyle: Health & Home

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: The Lifestyle: Health & Home

Post by Kip » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:26 am

Use cosmetics? Drive a car? Work around sick people? Life itself is built on risk. Ask insurance underwriters. Whenever possible, we have to calculate risk vs. benefit. I know the risks associated with my use of tobacco. The enjoyment I get outweighs that risk. Maybe it will bite me in the backside later; I don't know. But, the risk is known and accepted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:34 am

Most mornings, when it''s not stupid outside, a will take a 45-60 walk around my neighborhood, accompanied by a cigar. While in the winter I'll go to the gym and use the elliptical machines for the exercise, I really think that the casualness and relative peacefulness of the walk does as much good for me as the more intense workout. Not in calories used, of course, but in terms of relaxation and stress reduction. Keeping a calm demeanor, me believes wholeheartedly, makes everyday living less stressful and, therefore, healthier.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:37 am

And along the lines of what Kip just said, we all take risks of some kind every day. I think you just have a figure out how many things in life about which you really want to worry.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Stewmuse wrote:Most mornings, when it''s not stupid outside, a will take a 45-60 walk around my neighborhood, accompanied by a cigar. While in the winter I'll go to the gym and use the elliptical machines for the exercise, I really think that the casualness and relative peacefulness of the walk does as much good for me as the more intense workout. Not in calories used, of course, but in terms of relaxation and stress reduction. Keeping a calm demeanor, me believes wholeheartedly, makes everyday living less stressful and, therefore, healthier.
^^This (although I do have a clear tendency to over-stress all too frequently)
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:10 am

We started going down a logical path I know El can follow (e.g. A hobby/habit being less than "good" for you but a part of your life, nonetheless). Now I feel like I'm branching into "I'm trying to win an argument" territory. I mean no offense about it, just wanting to redirect the discussion. See, this is as much about changing a slightly irrational perception as it is about presenting facts of risk. I need to be able to win the propoganda war, not the education/intellectual war. I know smoking is not beneficial. I long to be able to make it more acceptable to witness in my household. Does that make sense or do I sound like I'm saying the same thing for both sides of the argument?

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:53 pm

Not quite. Smoke itself may not be particularly beneficial, but the act of smoking certainly can be, as it brings you pleasure and relaxation, which makes your life better, and by way of proxy, hers will be too.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Maybe from the "well rounded kids" angle. Nothing is stupider than a kid that says things like, "My dad says gay people go to hell" or "smoking will kill you" or "but mommy says republicans are the bad guys." Having kids that understand both sides of the issue is way better than having kids that follow blindly whatever their parents say/think.

Steve D.
Piper in Progress

Post by Steve D. » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Craig, if I may humbly offer the following:
1) your wife's concerns come from a well intentioned place with your well being and your kids' well being intended.
2) you can't and should not try to convince her as it is an emotional issue and logic is not governing.
3) I agree with Kip, time and generally responsible behavior will reduce dislikes. My wife dislikes my cigar smoking, but enjoys hanging out with me on the patio. She wins (a little bit) and I win.
4) the kid thing is tricky. All I can offer is learning moderation yields responsible behavior and enjoyment for special things. No different than use of alcohol.
5) I would strive for an opportunity for cigars to be included in time spent with the family. How can it be negative for the four of you to spend quality time together and a cigar to be present. I would think that your wife would prefer that to you holed up in the basement, even if she would prefer it sans cigar.

Looking forward to more of the forum.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:37 am

Steve D. wrote:Craig, if I may humbly offer the following:
1) your wife's concerns come from a well intentioned place with your well being and your kids' well being intended.
2) you can't and should not try to convince her as it is an emotional issue and logic is not governing.
3) I agree with Kip, time and generally responsible behavior will reduce dislikes. My wife dislikes my cigar smoking, but enjoys hanging out with me on the patio. She wins (a little bit) and I win.
4) the kid thing is tricky. All I can offer is learning moderation yields responsible behavior and enjoyment for special things. No different than use of alcohol.
5) I would strive for an opportunity for cigars to be included in time spent with the family. How can it be negative for the four of you to spend quality time together and a cigar to be present. I would think that your wife would prefer that to you holed up in the basement, even if she would prefer it sans cigar.

Looking forward to more of the forum.
Absolutely true statements 1-3. Great points that I failed to be able to express as concisely as you. Here's another angle/direction your post made me consider. I CHOOSE to be the family man. Cigars are not more important than the family so I rarely (if ever) decide to spend time with them over my wife & kids. I know that a cigar in hand means my wife is somewhere else. I don't push that. I know her position and I respect it. I just want it to soften 8-)

Coop
Payaso Cigarro

Post by Coop » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:01 pm

I guess I am lucky that my wife will sit outside with me after the kids are in bed. She'll usually take a couple puffs of my cigar. I am a lucky man!