Health update

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
User avatar
akpreacher
Forum Denizen
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:59 am

Re: Health update

Post by akpreacher » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:26 am

smokinsteve wrote:Thank you all for you prayers and support during my recovery! I truly appreciate it! Things have gotten much much better over the past 3 weeks. The swelling caused by the blood clot has almost gone away, and I’ve gotten some of my strength back. I am able to get up and around. And have even been out of the house a few times for leisure.

I finally had an appointment with the vein specialist Monday. Because my symptoms have subsided, they aren’t too worried about me. I will have another CT scan in two weeks to track the clot. And they are going to keep me on blood thinners for quite a while. But, so far, things are looking good.

This coming Friday I’ll get the rest of my staples out on my stump (the amputated leg). I will be able to move forward with the prosthetic preparation process after this!

I am feeling so much better mentally and physically! I’ve been able to sneak a few smokes the last few days. It was glorious! Thank you all again!

Ps. I guess I should change my name to StumpySteve now Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to hear all is well bro!! Proud of you for being so positive in all of it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...
Posts: 2259
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Health update

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm

smokinsteve wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:55 pm
Thank you all for you prayers and support during my recovery! I truly appreciate it! Things have gotten much much better over the past 3 weeks. The swelling caused by the blood clot has almost gone away, and I’ve gotten some of my strength back. I am able to get up and around. And have even been out of the house a few times for leisure.

I finally had an appointment with the vein specialist Monday. Because my symptoms have subsided, they aren’t too worried about me. I will have another CT scan in two weeks to track the clot. And they are going to keep me on blood thinners for quite a while. But, so far, things are looking good.

This coming Friday I’ll get the rest of my staples out on my stump (the amputated leg). I will be able to move forward with the prosthetic preparation process after this!

I am feeling so much better mentally and physically! I’ve been able to sneak a few smokes the last few days. It was glorious! Thank you all again!

Ps. I guess I should change my name to StumpySteve now Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sorry I've missed thi spost! SUCH great news. Truly I'm happier after hearing this. You're an example for us all. Keep your chin up and know that you've got a loyal group here that supports you. Great progress!

User avatar
smokinsteve
The Generous
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Health update

Post by smokinsteve » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Big news! I get to walk on a temporary prosthetic on Friday! It’s been over 3 months since I’ve walked on both legs. I can’t freaking wait!

Things are going really well. My body is healing as it should. Blood clot is clearing. I’ll be waking soon!

This pic is from my prosthetist appointment this morning. This is the first time I got to try on my temporary socket for my prosthetic leg. The socket is the hard plastic part that my “stump” fits into.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

User avatar
jledou
The 'Dou abides...
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Health update

Post by jledou » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Excellent news! A long road still to go we are pulling for you!

User avatar
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas
Posts: 1301
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 pm
Location: Havana. Esteli. Santiago.

Re: Health update

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Happy to hear/see this. I am glad to see you are taking this "in stride".
Nice to see you are finally "getting a leg up" on your issues.
Nice to see this is not "stumping" you.

Cabaiguan juan
Churchill
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Re: Health update

Post by Cabaiguan juan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:25 pm

smokinsteve wrote:Big news! I get to walk on a temporary prosthetic on Friday! It’s been over 3 months since I’ve walked on both legs. I can’t freaking wait!

Things are going really well. My body is healing as it should. Blood clot is clearing. I’ll be waking soon!

This pic is from my prosthetist appointment this morning. This is the first time I got to try on my temporary socket for my prosthetic leg. The socket is the hard plastic part that my “stump” fits into.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love your positivity. My dad has a spinal cord injury and he has been dealing with the ripple affects for 9 or 10 years now and that MF is so positive that it astounds me! It’s very motivating. Makes me recheck my attitude on trivial shit. Go get some!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
smokinsteve
The Generous
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Health update

Post by smokinsteve » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:22 am

Zedman05 wrote:Happy to hear/see this. I am glad to see you are taking this "in stride".
Nice to see you are finally "getting a leg up" on your issues.
Nice to see this is not "stumping" you.
Ha! Love the puns!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

Cabaiguan juan
Churchill
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Re: Health update

Post by Cabaiguan juan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:39 pm

I don’t mean to be a Negative Nancy, but how did your cigar smoking affect your cardiovascular-ness when it came to amputating your leg? I hear from cigarette smokers that it adds a level of difficulty in the amputation and recovery? Follow up question- while I’m happy to see you happy by getting back to smoking cigars, how does that affect your recovery and healing process?
I don’t mean to be rude or a heath nazi but I’m curious and I hope the answer is that the I’ll health affects of tobacco are over stated when it comes to cigars.
Keep keeping on.
Jon


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
smokinsteve
The Generous
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Health update

Post by smokinsteve » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Cabaiguan juan wrote:I don’t mean to be a Negative Nancy, but how did your cigar smoking affect your cardiovascular-ness when it came to amputating your leg? I hear from cigarette smokers that it adds a level of difficulty in the amputation and recovery? Follow up question- while I’m happy to see you happy by getting back to smoking cigars, how does that affect your recovery and healing process?
I don’t mean to be rude or a heath nazi but I’m curious and I hope the answer is that the I’ll health affects of tobacco are over stated when it comes to cigars.
Keep keeping on.
Jon


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I take no offense what so ever. Short answer. I don’t notice any difference at all at this point. I’m sure my doctors wouldn’t be super fond of me smoking cigars.

Long answer. I’m not a cigarette smoker. I used to dip/chew. And I’ve quit that a few times. Quit again after my accident. I have always been very active and was running regularly before my accident. So, my cardio is more affected by the lack of real exercise over the last 3 months than anything else.

To me, cigars and pipe smoking had a therapeutic affect. I can smoke a few a week and still feel fine. Before my accident I would smoke a bowl or a cigar every day and still went for a 3 mile jog three to four times a week. Not trying to brag. But I feel no ill affects from nicotine.

I think it’s the act of inhaling smoke that had the biggest affect on cardio vascular health.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

User avatar
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor
Posts: 2922
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 pm
Location: Just a bit NW of Chicago
Contact:

Re: Health update

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:47 am

How’s yer local pandemic treatin’ y’all?
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Post Reply