Big Day

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Re: Big Day

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:05 pm

I still don't see why you are living there, with very little income. I could understand if you were well-off already, and didn't need to worry every day where the pennies are being pinched, but in a new country like that, I am amazed you stay.
I am not saying it is a bad thing, I just wouldn't expect the regular Joe to stick around through the hardships unless they have the financial backup is all.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Zedman05 wrote:I still don't see why you are living there, with very little income. I could understand if you were well-off already, and didn't need to worry every day where the pennies are being pinched, but in a new country like that, I am amazed you stay.
I am not saying it is a bad thing, I just wouldn't expect the regular Joe to stick around through the hardships unless they have the financial backup is all.
Well, there's the whole faith thing and a call to service, which I know isn't a priority in the lives of many (but is to me). But, even independent of that, I reached a point where I realized I was very comfortable in life but really wasn't doing anything of import. 100% consumer. I could, and did, pass along monetary contributions to various causes, but there are senders and goers. After being a sender for the first half of my life, it was time to be a goer.

I totally understand that many folks don't and will never "get" that, but it's much more fulfilling (for me, anyway) to do something to help the other guy who wasn't born into the same world as me. Speaking from my own experience, Americans often are born on 3rd base and believe they've hit a triple. After I hit 40-ish, I was left pretty empty from that realization. I was empty from living a life chasing this comfort when I realized I felt quite selfish from the pursuit. What's the point of a few decades of living well while so many go without even basic things like clean water and an appropriate education to elevate their position? I don't condemn anyone who doesn't see this the same as me; I speak only of my own ponderings in my own life.

Besides, most of the humor, deepest friendships, and fond memories in my life were built/strengthened during times that were chocked full of "suck" at the time. Every hurdle I find here leaves me with a new experience and/or skillset I didn't have before. I mean, if nothing else I'm learning a new language and developing a hell of an immune system. If I live to be an old man (not likely based on family history, personal habits, and a golf ball sized tumor in my head), I'll at least have some awesome stories for the grandkids.

I cycle through periods of discouragement and fatigue; of this there's no doubt. But the times in between bring it back full circle and leave me with zero regrets. I'm content in the grand scheme of things in a way I don't think I ever would have been otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:58 pm

As for income, it's a valid point - but not to the degree most would imagine. We live on less than 30% of our previous income. We rent a relatively nice house, and all our *needs* have been met so far for these last 3 years. Admittedly, we don't have the same opportunity for many things we did before. But a big part of my aforementioned realization is that there are many - many - things I'd have called "needs" before that truly aren't. Again, I don't condemn anyone and their lifestyle. But for me, there are a lot of things from the past that I now consider frivolous in light of the need around me. I'd genuinely rather use the resources to meet someone's need than have a better car, travel more, or any number of other expenses. Not from some misguided sense of "earning" a ticket into heaven; it just sits better with me to put something to use improving another person's lot in life than overly enriching my own fleeting whim.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Kip is also the fortunate recipient of having a supportive family and friends that are on board with the plan. By that, I am in NO way trying to diminish the stresses he endures, just adding another reason why he can maintain his position. I’ve seen some of the stresses first-hand. I think he is most right-on when talking about what we THINK we really need vs. what we do LITERALLY need vs. what we merely want. He’s made his choice to be without some material items and the happiness he can get from them and replaced them, to some degree, with the joy and satisfaction one gains from being truly helpful for the simple reason of caring. It’s highly laudable.

And, of course, he has my “lavish” monthly donation and “gets” to have me at his place for a week each year. 😇 How could he not continue??? 🤪
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Stewmuse wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:41 pm
And, of course, he has my “lavish” monthly donation and “gets” to have me at his place for a week each year. 😇 How could he not continue??? 🤪
Aye, now we get to the heart of the matter....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 pm

P. S. - I apologize if this thread seems too whiny or bothersome. It's become my outlet for the idiosyncrasies that come with the territory. It's helpful for me during the days when I'm cycling down with the attitude, and a fun way to share some of the oddities I see in between.

I mean, I'm not likely to stop being whiny....but I'm sorry for those who find it tiresome. :). In all seriousness, though, I get the feeling that through the fact that there is no inflection nor body language involved in text, many of the posts in this thread are misconstrued as irritation or whining on my part. Most of the time that's not the case. Some times it is.

Most recently, I've shared with Craig through our WhatsApp conversations that I've had a spate of bad days....or, more accurately, bad attitude about those days. The recent heater hose trouble *seemed* like something that would have added to that. Somehow it wasn't the case, though. As counterintuitive as it seems, this was a fulcrum to a springboard that turned my attitude 180°. Suddenly, I seemed out of the funk and into a brighter day. Even though my post about it probably seemed irritable, I came out of that day feeling more "OK" with the current status than I'd been in a long time.

My friends are currently having to find a new engine for their car, which isn't easy. Our families have been sharing our truck for several weeks. When my truck went down, we ran 2 families (10 people) with a single, borrowed van that's on its very last leg. That should have sent me into a tailspin considering my mindset going into it, in dealing with immigration, corrupt police, endless attempts to cheat, steal, or otherwise take advantage of me for my skin color, or any number of other hassles. But, I've been as peaceful as the Dalai Lama the past couple days.

A friend once made an offhand remark that perspective is the most valuable commodity on the planet. I've yet to prove him wrong, as most of the time a brief recentering of the soul can alleviate all but the worst of attitudes. You just have to consider the bad in light of the good and find the right vantage point that gives you a better perspective on the things that *really* matter. That's all.

Some days that's easier said than done. Yet, it generally remains doable.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:05 am

Kip wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 pm
A friend once made an offhand remark that perspective is the most valuable commodity on the planet. I've yet to prove him wrong, as most of the time a brief recentering of the soul can alleviate all but the worst of attitudes. You just have to consider the bad in light of the good and find the right vantage point that gives you a better perspective on the things that *really* matter. That's all.
Bears repeating.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Hey @Stewmuse....had some flooding in Sosúa last night. This is near the beach we visit when you're down....

https://www.facebook.com/Endominicana.n ... 9462681476

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Kip wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:19 pm
Hey @Stewmuse....had some flooding in Sosúa last night. This is near the beach we visit when you're down....

https://www.facebook.com/Endominicana.n ... 9462681476

Yes. Yes, they do... I'm beginning to suspect that your tales of calm, clear waters that invite snorkeling are but a myth. ;)
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 pm

I lost my keys today. I have extra copies. Couldn't care less about the keys....but with the keys were the Keysmart key holder and my beloved Xikar scissors, both of which I adored. I'll miss them greatly.