Big Day

Non-tobacco related posts...whatever topic your heart desires.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Big Day

Post by Kip » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Zedman05 wrote:Once again, I "SMH" at you......gets to be -40 - -50 for a month straight in the winters.....
You guys are looking at this backward. The question isn't "How could Kip possibly feel cold at such a high temperature (66°F)?"

The question is, "What kind of mental disorder would drive a person to live somewhere it EVER gets down to - 40 degrees."

Interesting yet worthless trivia for today: it doesn't matter that I didn't designate whether I meant - 40 Centigrade or Fahrenheit. Minus 40 is where the formulae intersect. Minus 40 = minus 40 on both scales.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 am

Kip wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Interesting yet worthless trivia for today: it doesn't matter that I didn't designate whether I meant - 40 Centigrade or Fahrenheit. Minus 40 is where the formulae intersect. Minus 40 = minus 40 on both scales.

Yeah, I have been there and it is no fun ... I would prefer the DR also.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Kip wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:Once again, I "SMH" at you......gets to be -40 - -50 for a month straight in the winters.....
You guys are looking at this backward. The question isn't "How could Kip possibly feel cold at such a high temperature (66°F)?"

The question is, "What kind of mental disorder would drive a person to live somewhere it EVER gets down to - 40 degrees."

I believe we have had this conversation before, and also on the podcast about where the temp numbers intersect. I work with F all day because equipment that comes from the States is all F. We live in C up here, but I am very quick at figuring out what the temp is either way.
I can't figure out why they live in -40 to -50 C either, Kip. There is nothing to do up there, and no where to go. Not my type of place to live.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 am

It'd be friggin nice if every once in a while I could have power when I have a day off

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:50 am

So, we were helping clear brush out at a lady's house last week. I was cutting down some plantain tree - which, amazingly, at even 8"+ diameter can be taken down with a single machete blow. I saw this peculiar little guy....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:14 pm

Kip wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:50 am
So, we were helping clear brush out at a lady's house last week. I was cutting down some plantain tree - which, amazingly, at even 8"+ diameter can be taken down with a single machete blow. I saw this peculiar little guy....

Cool. Is that it's abdomen or a fake fingernail?!!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Kip wrote:It'd be friggin nice if every once in a while I could have power when I have a day off

Well, last time it was out this long we were without for 6 days. I guess we'll hope for tomorrow, as I'm sure regular maintenance crews went home at 5ish....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:31 am

Being a person who can't sleep much truly and rightly sucks when there's no power (Yeah . Still.). I went over and charged my phone last night at the Hartsfields, so at least I have that. I've been sitting here since 4:30 listening to a random mix of music and reading the news.

If I haven't mentioned it, 911 is coming to the Dominican Republic. It's live for quite a while in the capital and has activated in Santiago. The only ambulance services are private companies that I don't believe work through the system, the police are slow (or don't) respond and/or crooked, and fire departments often unprepared....but I guess you at least have someone to talk to in case of emergency. I just read an article saying that greater than 95% of all calls coming in to the system are complaints about noise and loud music. Struck me as weird.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 am

I can only picture the boss from Office Space answering the phone "Ummmm yeah, we're going to look into sending someone out to your house. Could you just tell the men stealing your stuff we are going to need them to stick around to fill out the TPS forms in triplicate. Ummm yeah...." :lol:

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:44 am

Kip wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:31 am
Being a person who can't sleep much truly and rightly sucks when there's no power (Yeah . Still.). I went over and charged my phone last night at the Hartsfields, so at least I have that. I've been sitting here since 4:30 listening to a random mix of music and reading the news.

If this happens while I’m there, then we need an early AM drive up the mountain!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.