Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Latest Pipe/Pipe Tobacco Purchase

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Kip wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:09 pm
815DC wrote:
Kip wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:31 pm
Nick's wife is back in Florida for a few days. She's supposed to stop by the not-so-undisclosed location of 1/3 of my tobacco cellar and bring me back 10-12 tins. I told her just to randomly grab whichever tins she can fit in her luggage. It's like Christmas waiting to see what I get. From myself.

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal
And?
She's not back yet....in Florida for a few days. Traveling elsewhere for more.

<peepee dance>

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:05 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Kip wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:09 pm
815DC wrote: And?
She's not back yet....in Florida for a few days. Traveling elsewhere for more.

<peepee dance>
It appears I'll get a second influx in a couple weeks. Another Floridian friend comes down the 23rd. I'm leveraging them to the hilt to tote down at least 15-20 tins....

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:17 am

Here's what she brought.... I'll get more in a couple weeks. The Peterson Old Dublin was the *only* Peterson blend I could smoke back in the day without burning my tongue. I actually gave up on it even, and tossed the last unopened tin into the cellar and forgot about having it. I haven't had it in years. I hope it's aged well, although I'm not especially hopeful.

. Image

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Some of those really don't suck. Why is that one Light Flake tax stamp so faded? Has the tin opened and stained it?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:30 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:10 pm
Some of those really don't suck. Why is that one Light Flake tax stamp so faded? Has the tin opened and stained it?
It's not opened. That is actually not a tax seal...it's the California warning that it may give me cancer. The paper used was just differently colored. The white one is actually 4 years older than the yellow one.

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Scored 4 tins of this from a local B&M today. Haven’t tried this blend, but I’m excited to crack a tin one day. It’s a Virginia Perique blend so it should be right in my wheelhouse. Have any of you had this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:26 am

smokinsteve wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:56 pm
Scored 4 tins of this from a local B&M today. Haven’t tried this blend, but I’m excited to crack a tin one day. It’s a Virginia Perique blend so it should be right in my wheelhouse. Have any of you had this one?

Wow. I would buy one of those from you for $25. I remember seeing that all the time at The Humidor when I was 18/19 and loved the aroma. Nostalgia at its finest. Wow. That and Old Ironsides.

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:02 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:
smokinsteve wrote:

Wow. I would buy one of those from you for $25. I remember seeing that all the time at The Humidor when I was 18/19 and loved the aroma. Nostalgia at its finest. Wow. That and Old Ironsides.
$25 is very generous. The retail price I paid was $14. But, I will gladly send you a tin! Give me a few days to get it out. I’m really busy with work right now.

Smoke on!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:55 am

smokinsteve wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:02 am
kurtdesign1 wrote:
smokinsteve wrote:

$25 is very generous. The retail price I paid was $14. But, I will gladly send you a tin! Give me a few days to get it out. I’m really busy with work right now.

Dude, generosity was kinda the point :lol:

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:06 am

I told Slagle to bring me whatever tins he grabbed randomly from the part of my stash that resides in his closet. These were what he brought. The Viprati is from @815DC last year. The others range from 2004-2010. Of note for me personally is the half-pound of 10-year-old Abingdon. I'm more than a little excited because any Abingdon over 5 really fires on all cylinders for me. I love the stuff.

Also interesting are the Quantum and New Century. Both were produced by McClelland for pipe clubs (Conclave of Richmond Pipe Smokers and the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club, respectively), these being tinned in 2009. They're good blends that never made huge commercial splashes at the time but had cult followings once they went public with selling them. I'm excited to see how they have aged. Quantum is all-Virginia all the time, and the New Century is a "Balkan Mixture", which can mean a number of things because they didn't actually print much in the way of blend composition. It may have some latakia or may not, with its position filled by some other Oriental varietal. In any event, I haven't smoked either in a very long time and can't wait to break them open.

The Viprati that DC sent is a Va/Per, which I generally appreciate. I expect I'll hold it until June to give it a sure full year (This is absolute whimsy; I have no reasonable reason to wait outside of it having a year in the tin. Sue me.) Image