OK new to pipes...tobaccos tried so far

Whatcha have? Whatcha know? Whatcha do?
BowhuntnHoosier
Odocoileus Smoke 'Em

OK new to pipes...tobaccos tried so far

Post by BowhuntnHoosier » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Aromatics:

Captain Black

Sutliff aromatics cherry,irish blend,vanilla,butter rum.

Drew estate Harvest on the Hudson

Lane 1Q,HS-3

English Blends:

Sutliff Medium English

Dunhill Blends
MyMixture 965
Early Morning Pipe
Nightcap

I must say I enjoy the English blends much more. Although occationally the aromatics are nice. Lane 1Q and Dunhill Nightcap are probably my favorites so far. Just purchased some Escudo Navy De Luxe to try but have not done so yet. So....anyone have a blend suggestion for me to try?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self. Ernest Hemingway

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: OK new to pipes...tobaccos tried so far

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:20 am

BowhuntnHoosier wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 pm
Aromatics:

Captain Black

Sutliff aromatics cherry,irish blend,vanilla,butter rum.

Drew estate Harvest on the Hudson

Lane 1Q,HS-3

English Blends:

Sutliff Medium English

Dunhill Blends
MyMixture 965
Early Morning Pipe
Nightcap

I must say I enjoy the English blends much more. Although occationally the aromatics are nice. Lane 1Q and Dunhill Nightcap are probably my favorites so far. Just purchased some Escudo Navy De Luxe to try but have not done so yet. So....anyone have a blend suggestion for me to try?

@Kip???
Here's my limited knowledge dump upon thee. Use a different pipe for aromatics and others tobaccos. Eventually, you may even break it down beyond that. If you know you will be smoking a pipe, take some tobacco out to dry a bit a few hours before you are planning to smoke. It makes a huge difference in concentration of flavors and elimination of tongue bite. don't hesitate to use a pipe cleaner if you feel bite or hear gurgle. Cadence is completely different from a cigar. You can puff more often and shorter than a cigar. Think stoking the flame rather than a long drawn out, 1-minute spaced puff. Never blow through the pipe unless you like ash showers. Get a new pipe if its at all uncomfortable for your smoking style. Do you keep it in your mouth... Better have a light pipe with a flat stem. I learned that mistake when one of my fat bowled pipes rolled in my mouth because of its rounded stem.
Tell us more of what you discover! That Escudo is one of my favorites. Enjoy!

BowhuntnHoosier
Odocoileus Smoke 'Em

Post by BowhuntnHoosier » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm

This is getting out of hand. Wife told me to buy a couple hundred dollars of tobacco. OK....lol. Now to enjoyImage

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self. Ernest Hemingway

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:42 pm

holy crap, Batman!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:37 pm

One word: Greg Pease

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 am

Kip wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:37 pm
One word: Greg Pease

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk
One word: Yes Sir.

BowhuntnHoosier
Odocoileus Smoke 'Em

Post by BowhuntnHoosier » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:03 am

Washing pipe tobacco. Ok so what think you? Ran across this video and thought....What the. Interesting. Anyone ever tried it?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFxf1bwoCSU.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:24 pm

BowhuntnHoosier wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:03 am
Washing pipe tobacco. Ok so what think you?
You see this?
20180603_145757.jpg
20180603_145757.jpg (309.94 KiB) Viewed 10007 times
That's me. Calling BS.

I had to check the published date of the video to see if it was April 1st. I'm being silly and don't want to harsh the buzz, but I do have a few issues with the idea....

1.) Nicotine itself is clear (it only turns yellow/brown when burned). The dark stuff he sees in his wash is other stuff - colorants, humectants, essential oils from the tobacco itself - (these oils are generally desirable, and give tobacco its character and flavor), and tannins. Frankly, Carter Hall is a mass market Middleton-produced pipe tobacco, not of the highest quality - and likely contains any number of things that wouldn't otherwise be present in higher quality blends. Think Black 'n' Mild versus My Father. You can get similarly colored water from almost any dried/fermented plant matter. Black tea isn't a nicotine champ, but drop some of that in a cup of water for 8 hours. Tannins give it this coloration.

2.) Why do this? Because you found a blend you love but can't handle the nicotine level of this particular tobacco? Then, smoke a little while and put your pipe down until later. I'm absolutely not buying his assertion that the flavor didn't change whatsoever. Refer to the pic above again. If there's no change in flavor after soaking out all that stuff in the tobacco, either a.) his palate is toast and he can't tell the difference, b.) he's lying, or c.) the tobacco had little to offer in the beginning. This kind of mindbending tea-making experiment wreaks havoc with tobacco. If you love a strong blend, smoke it in manageable doses....I believe it will no longer be what you fell in love with after being soaked in water for 8 hours.

3.) Unless you're going to smoke the end product rather quickly, you're absolutely begging for mold to grow on the tobacco. Even with distilled water. Once you bring it out of the solution and attempt to dry it, the race is on against time.

These things being said, the "tea" he made does have some use. It's a good foundation for betún, what cigar factories sometimes use to achieve uniform color in their leaf. Or, as a pesticide. Nicotine is a phenomenal pesticide, getting rid of all kinds of non-desirable bugs on your garden.

I'm all for experimentation with tobacco - sometimes to a ludicrous degree. But, I think I'll skip this one. I feel like he should have known better because the viewer who recommended the process to him asked for his name to be withheld. That reeks of someone who knew the idea was hokum, or was just pulling this guy's leg.

But hey, I remain a faithful adherent to "smoke what you like, and like what you smoke." If he digs it, more power to him.

BowhuntnHoosier
Odocoileus Smoke 'Em

Post by BowhuntnHoosier » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:08 am

Kip wrote:
BowhuntnHoosier wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:03 am
Washing pipe tobacco. Ok so what think you?
You see this?
20180603_145757.jpg
That's me. Calling BS.

I had to check the published date of the video to see if it was April 1st. I'm being silly and don't want to harsh the buzz, but I do have a few issues with the idea....

1.) Nicotine itself is clear (it only turns yellow/brown when burned). The dark stuff he sees in his wash is other stuff - colorants, humectants, essential oils from the tobacco itself - (these oils are generally desirable, and give tobacco its character and flavor), and tannins. Frankly, Carter Hall is a mass market Middleton-produced pipe tobacco, not of the highest quality - and likely contains any number of things that wouldn't otherwise be present in higher quality blends. Think Black 'n' Mild versus My Father. You can get similarly colored water from almost any dried/fermented plant matter. Black tea isn't a nicotine champ, but drop some of that in a cup of water for 8 hours. Tannins give it this coloration.

2.) Why do this? Because you found a blend you love but can't handle the nicotine level of this particular tobacco? Then, smoke a little while and put your pipe down until later. I'm absolutely not buying his assertion that the flavor didn't change whatsoever. Refer to the pic above again. If there's no change in flavor after soaking out all that stuff in the tobacco, either a.) his palate is toast and he can't tell the difference, b.) he's lying, or c.) the tobacco had little to offer in the beginning. This kind of mindbending tea-making experiment wreaks havoc with tobacco. If you love a strong blend, smoke it in manageable doses....I believe it will no longer be what you fell in love with after being soaked in water for 8 hours.

3.) Unless you're going to smoke the end product rather quickly, you're absolutely begging for mold to grow on the tobacco. Even with distilled water. Once you bring it out of the solution and attempt to dry it, the race is on against time.

These things being said, the "tea" he made does have some use. It's a good foundation for betún, what cigar factories sometimes use to achieve uniform color in their leaf. Or, as a pesticide. Nicotine is a phenomenal pesticide, getting rid of all kinds of non-desirable bugs on your garden.

I'm all for experimentation with tobacco - sometimes to a ludicrous degree. But, I think I'll skip this one. I feel like he should have known better because the viewer who recommended the process to him asked for his name to be withheld. That reeks of someone who knew the idea was hokum, or was just pulling this guy's leg.

But hey, I remain a faithful adherent to "smoke what you like, and like what you smoke." If he digs it, more power to him.
Really appreciate the time you took to write up the detailed response. All I could think was that has to change the flavor and look out for mold. I still remember the idea of putting a cigar under running water to improve the burn. Some very different ideas out there. Thanks Kip

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:48 am

I realize my post probably came across pretty sardonic. Don't misconstrue my "Old Fart Cynicism" for condemnation. It's just not for me, because everything in me says this isn't a genuine benefit. It may be worth a try for you. I was never very adept at chemistry; there's every chance I'm wrong. I'm just going to let someone else be the trailblazer to find out :D