Pipa del dia

Whatcha have? Whatcha know? Whatcha do?
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Pipa del dia

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:45 am

I forgot to ask abou tthis. When out with Michael the other day, a guy (Doug) purchased a couple of tins of Tobacco. One was a Dunhill tin. Do I remember incorrectly that Dunhill got out of the industry? Who is using their name? Are these blends anything comparable to Dunhill tobacco from years back?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:58 am

If I'm remembering correctly, I don't believe Dunhill proper has manufactured their own tobacco in well over 30 years. It's been done by quite a number of others, with Murray's being my favorite. I think the torch even passed from them several years ago. Maybe it's Orlik now. I'll have to look into it to be sure.

As for whether or not it's similar to actual Dunhill of old, it'd be hard to say unless you know someone who smoked it back then. I had a tin of Gold Blend but it had decades of age on it when I smoked it....and it has no modern counterpart.

The thing about pipesmokers is, they don't like change. Or even the idea or possibility of it. It doesn't matter if a blend is made with the same equipment, leaf and love...a rumor of blender change is often perceived as catastrophic to the blend. There'll be lamentations of "how it used to be" and "how badly it sucks now" for years......

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Kip wrote:If I'm remembering correctly, I don't believe Dunhill proper has manufactured their own tobacco in well over 30 years. It's been done by quite a number of others, with Murray's being my favorite. I think the torch even passed from them several years ago. Maybe it's Orlik now. I'll have to look into it to be sure.
What I'm thinking of was recent (macro). It seems to me that in the past 5 years they "changed hands". I don't know even what happened exactly so I can't be sure what to call it. Maybe one of those other mfg changes is what I'm recalling. I don't know.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Somewhere 2004-5 ish, they went away from Murray's. I *think* it was a move to using Orlik as blender. Several blends were dropped at the time, and most have since been reintroduced. This is probably a moot point...because as bad as the FDA changes are for cigars, I expect the US pipe tobacco market to (at least nearly) collapse altogether. It's a pretty tiny niche environ already. I don't know that it can be profitable for many or any makers.

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

CigarCity
Not just Varsity..CigarCity!

Post by CigarCity » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:13 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (199.49 KiB) Viewed 11053 times

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 am

I looked at my pipe humidor yesterday (just an old humidor with divisions and bags containing tins. No humidification besides ambient basement) and got that tinge of anticipation. I can't wait to light it up again. It's been far too long. There's just something more cathartic about a pipe than a cigar.