I'm gonna sell some pipe tobacco

Whatcha have? Whatcha know? Whatcha do?
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: I'm gonna sell some pipe tobacco

Post by Kip » Mon May 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Still working out quantities. I can't bring it all into the DR at once, of course. I will be keeping a healthy portion - stored at a friend's house until we can bring it down one trip at a time.

Last year, I divested myself of a lot of tins (~150). My first strategy was to get rid of blends I had single tins or very little quantity - focus on the blends I like most, you know. Now, since I've put some bit of effort into laying out a review process, I think I will still maintain good amounts of my favorites, but keep plenty of singles and small quantity items as review fodder going forward.

So...I'm going through the pile you see in the picture above, which is roughly 100 lbs. of tobacco between tins & jars....sorting out what to get rid of. I'll have a good mix of tins and jars for sale. It will be a day or two before I get through it all and have a good list, though.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon May 04, 2015 3:43 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:Oh, do I have permission to repost this on another tobacco forum I'm on?
At some point, but not yet. Reason being, I don't yet have a handle on quantities and blends. I know I'm about to be flooded with questions about what all it is, and quantity, and price, etc. It's already started with emails after I posted up the picture on FB yesterday. I don't have all the answers yet.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Just let me know.

You've been Tapatalk'd

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 pm

First round - this is all TINS - not jars. What I'm doing for these is selling them at straight MSRP (today's prices). That's a little more than I paid for them, but far less than someone would pay for aged stock otherwise. I figured that was a fair deal on unopened tins where the quantity is known to be accurate. The shipping looks to be about $6 for 1-4 tins; $9 for 5 or more.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet for this first pass:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7u7m6ux9hkxj ... .xlsx?dl=0

I'll leave these posted here for a day or two, then start posting on other forums I have frequented in the past. I know most of the folks around here aren't super-interested in pipe stuff, but thought I'd give dibs to any who might have an interest in jump-starting some aged stock.

Also - there will be probably 3-4 more "rounds" of stuff. There's around 40 tins on this list, and I have probably 150 or so jars and bulk containers still to sell off.

I will also have some Margate & Penzance in various sizes, up to 8 oz....I'm torn on those, as they're dang near impossible to find these days. I have to be SURE I'm ready to let those go :)

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Tue May 05, 2015 7:04 am

Kip, your link it to the dropbox not just the file in the dropbox so we can all see the other files.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:05 am

jledou wrote:Kip, your link it to the dropbox not just the file in the dropbox so we can all see the other files.
Please tell me Kip had something "mean" in there. I'll take anything. An angry picture, an evil propoganda image, a picture of Donald Trump, anything. Please, Please, PLEASE!!! He can't be as nice as he seems!

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:06 am

Kip wrote:First round - this is all TINS - not jars. What I'm doing for these is selling them at straight MSRP (today's prices). That's a little more than I paid for them, but far less than someone would pay for aged stock otherwise. I figured that was a fair deal on unopened tins where the quantity is known to be accurate. The shipping looks to be about $6 for 1-4 tins; $9 for 5 or more.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet for this first pass:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7u7m6ux9hkxj ... .xlsx?dl=0

I'll leave these posted here for a day or two, then start posting on other forums I have frequented in the past. I know most of the folks around here aren't super-interested in pipe stuff, but thought I'd give dibs to any who might have an interest in jump-starting some aged stock.

Also - there will be probably 3-4 more "rounds" of stuff. There's around 40 tins on this list, and I have probably 150 or so jars and bulk containers still to sell off.

I will also have some Margate & Penzance in various sizes, up to 8 oz....I'm torn on those, as they're dang near impossible to find these days. I have to be SURE I'm ready to let those go :)
1 tin of that McBaren Symphony from the 90's and an 8oz tin of that Margate sounds mighty interesting to me :)

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue May 12, 2015 9:08 am

Fyi.... The Margate comes in hermetically sealed heavy foil bags. Not tins.

.....and there's none of those listed. Yet.

Margate is extremely hard to come by (although not nearly so hard as Penzance, which I have a few pounds of as well). I'm having qualms about selling them off....although I undoubtedly will.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:17 am

Kip wrote:Fyi.... The Margate comes in hermetically sealed heavy foil bags. Not tins.
Interesting. I'm assuming since it's pipe tobacco that it is ok for long term aging. I've not seen bags like that. What's your experience?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: RE: Re: I'm gonna sell some pipe tobacco

Post by Kip » Tue May 12, 2015 12:19 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:Interesting. I'm assuming since it's pipe tobacco that it is ok for long term aging. I've not seen bags like that. What's your experience?

That's the subject of GREAT debate. I didn't normally trust them, although I did sometimes leave them intact. I usually put it into jars. Greg Pease, a foremost authority on pipe tobacco aging, abandoned the idea for his own blends - changing from the bags to tins around 2005/6 I believe. I haven't opened any older than 4-5 years myself. We'll know soon enough, I suppose....