Whats in your bowl?

Whatcha have? Whatcha know? Whatcha do?
BowhuntnHoosier
Odocoileus Smoke 'Em

Re: Whats in your bowl?

Post by BowhuntnHoosier » Thu May 31, 2018 8:49 pm

Just such a great evening in Indiana. Really enjoying this combination tonight. Enjoy

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self. Ernest Hemingway

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu May 31, 2018 11:18 pm

Finishing off a tin of Sextant today. At least trying to. I made a parfait of the last bits of Escudo and the Sextant this morning. Now smoking just the Sextant. Good stuff, this one. Very traditional, classic English with a bit more sweetness from a *hint* of rum (as I mentioned on last week's show). Image

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu May 31, 2018 11:20 pm

BowhuntnHoosier wrote:Just such a great evening in Indiana. Really enjoying this combination tonight. Enjoy

I'm generally more of a traditionalist with regard to pipes, with only a few pipes with more abstract and/or modern design aspects....but that being said, I really dig that blue stem.

BowhuntnHoosier
Odocoileus Smoke 'Em

Post by BowhuntnHoosier » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:29 am

Kip wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:18 pm
Finishing off a tin of Sextant today. At least trying to. I made a parfait of the last bits of Escudo and the Sextant this morning. Now smoking just the Sextant. Good stuff, this one. Very traditional, classic English with a bit more sweetness from a *hint* of rum (as I mentioned on last week's show). Image

Very cool pipe. Love the bowl shape. I have not tried Sextant. I am sure I would enjoy it with the rum topping.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self. Ernest Hemingway

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:52 am

BowhuntnHoosier wrote:
Kip wrote:

Very cool pipe. Love the bowl shape. I have not tried Sextant. I am sure I would enjoy it with the rum topping.
The rum is *very* subdued, and really only provides a slight sweetness (not a direct "rum" flavor).

This pipe is a Tim West Oliphant, because if you turn it sideways the shape looks like an elephant's trunk...

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:17 am

Still working on the dregs from that tin of Sextant, this morning in an old Jobey with a lovely sandblast. Happy Saturday. Image

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Kip wrote:

From the photo it looks as though you are reading up on Churchill. Ever get to look at that book? Churchill's cigar I think it was called.
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:35 pm

I did....but I forgot to send it back via Mike. It's on my "bring" list to come with us to the states so I can PIF.

BowhuntnHoosier
Odocoileus Smoke 'Em

Post by BowhuntnHoosier » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Ordered a few more blends. This one from Greg Pease. It has some cigar leaf in it. Very interesting additive.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:35 pm

BowhuntnHoosier wrote:Ordered a few more blends. This one from Greg Pease. It has some cigar leaf in it. Very interesting additive.

I like that Key Largo quite a bit on its own merit. It doesn't re-light well for me if I let it cool, but otherwise I enjoy it. It's never the same, though, with cigar blends. I'm always left wanting in that department. Cigar blends in the pipe don't translate well for me. If I want a cigar, I just have a cigar. The only cigar leaf blend I ever thought was truly great was called Billiard Room, by Cornell & Diehl. Awesome stuff, but unfortunately it contained the Syrian leaf that all burned up in the 2004 warehouse fire. I miss it a lot.

Now, with the demise of McClelland, my 2nd favorite cigar blend is also gone. They made one called Dominican Glory that was pretty decent, in both natural and maduro. There may be a few tins out there in dark corners of B&M stores without internet sales, but otherwise McClelland is all gone.

Unless, that is, you have access to my cellar which has dozens of pounds of various McClelland blends going back over 20 years..... Muhaha