Palio Lighter

Write 'em up, boys....give us your advice on your favorite/least favorite cigars, accessories, or pairings...
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Palio Lighter

Post by Kip » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Those of you who tuned in to last week's show heard my ranting about the Palio lighter I'd received that very day, which would not fire. Well, it worked Saturday (I did nothing; just picked it up from where I'd left it during the show). It died again Sunday. It has sparked a couple of times since then, but never lit another cigar. I've learned a few things since; namely, the warranty is NOT the same as with their cutters.

1. It is not a lifetime warranty. It's good for two years.

2. You may NOT simply return it to an authorized dealer. You must send it back directly to Palio with a copy of your purchase receipt.

3. This is not free. You have to send them a check for shipping and handling back to you. This is $9 if it's under warranty and $15 if not - plus you have to pay repair costs if it's out of warranty (which leads me to ask what the difference in shipping/handling is for????). They will contact you with an estimate if they find it's out of warranty.

4. If you submit a lighter without the payment for S&H, you have 30 days to get payment into their hands or your lighter will be discarded.

So....this all means I will now be an extra $9 deep into a lighter I was able to use twice right out of the friggin' box. Lovely.

Just my angry ittle Public Service Announcement

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Palio Lighter

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what got Ted Kaczinski started...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:50 pm

I don't think it'll get that extreme....

But I do have to say that even if they repair/replace my lighter, this whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. Not because I got a dud - it happens. But, the extra hoops to get a replacement are really bothersome. That, and the price of my brand new lighter just went up by 20%.

None of this is helped by the fact that my Palio cutter had the blades simply fall out of it. To be fair, I'd used that a lot. I got good use of it. I think that's what is really rubbing me the wrong way over this lighter. I'm out $55 now and have nothing to show for it but bother.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Well, okay, but a coupla well-placed and timed letter bombs will usually get folks' attention. Or maybe some of that hydrogen sulfide (?) stuff that smells like rotten eggs/skunk. Open it up and... whew! Just sayin...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Stewmuse wrote:Or maybe some of that hydrogen sulfide (?) stuff that smells like rotten eggs/skunk. Open it up and... whew! Just sayin...
This brings up an interesting question. Is minor harassment, like mailing foul smelling items, a crime? Could this be a new wave of rage we've just discovered? The idea of road rage is so twentieth century. Mail rage could be so hot right now.

You've been Tapatalk'd

Coop
Payaso Cigarro

Post by Coop » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Cough... Xikar... Cough

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Coop wrote:Cough... Xikar... Cough Image
I'm a longtime Xikar fan, but have had my fair share of problems with them too. Notably my Trezo, which has been replaced 4 times and all have had issues.

...just a hillbilly, Tappin' and a-Talkin'

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:00 pm

The best lighter I have is a jetline. I think they're around $12 or less. Huge tank, triple jet, easily adjustable. I also have 2 freebies from CI orders that are single flame that work great. My xicar impress stinks, doesn't fit any butane nozzle. Also have a Dunhill soft flame that is beautiful and works great, but I think my bro paid around $100 for it for a gift...

Kid Corona

CigarCity
Not just Varsity..CigarCity!

Post by CigarCity » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Seems like the "Sunglasses Theorem" applies to lighters as well.

Spend more that $20 on sunglasses and they either break immediately or you lose them. Spend $20 or less and they last forever (even when you try to lose them they have a tendency of showing up again.)

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:26 pm

I live my life by that theorm

Kid Corona