Cigarsmas!

Write 'em up, boys....give us your advice on your favorite/least favorite cigars, accessories, or pairings...
IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Cigarsmas!

Post by IWinchester » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:36 pm

We get em every year, so post your cigar gifts below!

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: Cigarsmas!

Post by IWinchester » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:37 pm

I'll start with a sweet new travel case/flask. Me like!

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:13 am

Received a Whynter humidor. Instructions were pretty vague. Always had a standard humidor. Anyone know how to season one of these? Beads or Boveda (I like the latter)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:09 am

f.sinagra wrote:Image
Received a Whynter humidor. Instructions were pretty vague. Always had a standard humidor. Anyone know how to season one of these? Beads or Boveda (I like the latter)?

Nice! That'll take quite a few boveda, but they have the new giant ones (120, 180 grams? Don't remember) that would be great. As for seasoning all that wood, just take your time with some shot glasses or shallow dishes of water. Enjoy!

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:21 am

330 grams (!)

Sent from cigar country via smoke signal...
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Holy hell! A friend used to wipe the walls of a new humidor down with distilled. You could jump start your seasoning that way. I'd rather spritz it so you get no residue from a cloth or rag but you'd have to be very light. Probably for the best anyways to be light, now that Ithink about it. Don't want standing water to develop mold.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:37 pm

I have wiped with a damp rag to get the walls a bit moist, then left distilled water in there in tupperware for a week. Then week 2 the bovedas go in to acclimate the humidity.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:54 pm

Zedman05 wrote:I have wiped with a damp rag to get the walls a bit moist, then left distilled water in there in tupperware for a week. Then week 2 the bovedas go in to acclimate the humidity.
Perfect. ^^^^
Just a reminder, only dampen the wood.

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Gracias, gents. Ian, I bought the 320 Boveda and a couple of others in the same humidity (69%). I do have a little tray of distilled water in there. It's doing quite well. After I put the Boveda in, I'm going to wait a couple of days before I start placing the cigars in. FINGERS CROSSED THAT EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT SHOULD!

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:26 pm

f.sinagra wrote:Gracias, gents. Ian, I bought the 320 Boveda and a couple of others in the same humidity (69%). I do have a little tray of distilled water in there. It's doing quite well. After I put the Boveda in, I'm going to wait a couple of days before I start placing the cigars in. FINGERS CROSSED THAT EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT SHOULD! Image

You should know relatively soon after you take out the boveda and distilled whether it's seasoned properly. Your rH should maintain if it's seasoned. It'll drop considerably if not. All humidors will lose humidity, I'm referring to a 10 or 15% drop in a matter of hours