Cigarsmas!

Write 'em up, boys....give us your advice on your favorite/least favorite cigars, accessories, or pairings...
f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Re: Cigarsmas!

Post by f.sinagra » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Yeah, so I've been having a hard time maintaining humidity fellas. Degree inside is a nice 63-65 degree, but the humidity, with a lot of Boveda, is at 59-60. I'm dumbfounded. Any suggestions? Seal on the unit is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:07 am

f.sinagra wrote:Yeah, so I've been having a hard time maintaining humidity fellas. Degree inside is a nice 63-65 degree, but the humidity, with a lot of Boveda, is at 59-60. I'm dumbfounded. Any suggestions? Seal on the unit is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I had to guess, I'd assume you don't have enough cigars in it or (more likely) the cedar has started to dry out (not become dry but is less saturated than what would normally keep the interior rH in the range you want it). Basically, I think the cedar is sucking the moisture out of the bovedas but needs more than what they can provide.
Put your cigars in tuperware with humidification. Moisten down your humidor (I'd spritz it very very lightly and NOT wipe it), wait a day, put bovedas in there after 24 hours and see where the humidity is up to after 48 total hours empty, but only 24 with the bovedas. If it's not where you want, start again with the spritzing.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Is it at least 75% filled with cigars (I tell my wife it needs 90% inventory to maintain humidity)?

How often do you open it? Daily opening in dry conditions will kill your humidity, and a slow-to-recover humidor can develop...

Sent from cigar country via smoke signal...
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 am

You might verify that there are no vents (holes or poor seals) exchanging air but you might also just have an instrument that is off or the humidity may be different within the space top to bottom also so you might move hydrometer around if possible.

Honestly with the boveda packs I stopped using a hydrometer and just check the packs on a regular basis and replace as they start to dry up with recharged packs.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:36 pm

I agree that you probably have wood soaking up the humidity still. Being that it is a humidor specifically, I doubt there would be any holes other than possibly the drain line at the condensate pan.
Keep on trying to inject humidity in there.
My other option would be to take an Oasis electronic humidifier and soak that foam in the bottom then jack up the humidity setting to 75-80 % and let it run for a few days.