....and then there were 2.

Write 'em up, boys....give us your advice on your favorite/least favorite cigars, accessories, or pairings...
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

....and then there were 2.

Post by Kip » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:01 pm

So, I'm down to 2 functioning torch lighters. I moved here with a bunch (8-10ish, if I recall correctly). All of those were Xikar except a couple inexpensive (but not disposable) models. Heck, I don't even remember - the point is, all of my $50-100 MSRP lighters are dead. These two little broken, craptastic free-with-purchase lighters, however, have worked like a charm. I've had them since House Blend opened about a year ago and have put them through some pretty harsh treatment.

I'm not bragging on them as much as I'm a bit pissed I worked so hard to bring my "good" lighters with me, only to have them all, without exception, die. Most disappointing is the Xikar Trezo. I absolutely love its design, heft and function... when it worked. Yes, I know Xikar has a lifetime warranty. BUT, 1) I replaced the thing 3 times before we moved and 2) I can't really do the replacement thing from here, and there's no good way to transport it back and forth by plane. I have the DOT/TSA approved pillbox, but many TSA agents don't recognize it and confiscate the lighter anyway. I think when these die I'm just switching to matches. They're cheap and plentiful here...

* - I'm also still pissed about my experience with the Palio lighter as well. It felt great in the hand, but was essentially a pretty paperweight.

I guess I'm just too hard on lighters. I just feel a bit pissy tonight. Maybe the tumor is pressing my anger cortex oblongata....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: ....and then there were 2.

Post by Kip » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Soon as I posted that, I remembered I have another working lighter that has stood the test of time and flame. The little Z-Plus torch insert for a Zippo case. $11 and works like a charm....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

BowhuntnHoosier
Odocoileus Smoke 'Em

Post by BowhuntnHoosier » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:59 pm

Sounds like you need a good cigar to take away your worries.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self. Ernest Hemingway

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:08 am

I have the same issue. My really crappy, free lighters seem to always work