Yeah, thanks, Craig...

Write 'em up, boys....give us your advice on your favorite/least favorite cigars, accessories, or pairings...
IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: Yeah, thanks, Craig...

Post by IWinchester » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:20 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:Yeah, Zaya is $75ish here at most liquor stores. Once in a while you can find it for dirt cheap at $58.
I am afraid to try the new Zaya blend, I heard it was changed. I still working through my last bottle of older blend. I really can't find anything better than Havana Club Maestros for me though. It fits my palate. Good thing I am going to Havana in a couple months Image

Cigar F^iend
My brief description of the "new" zaya is accurate above. It smells better. Truly shockingly better. I think that was 100% intentional. That being said, I think the rum used to create that nose in the new blend was more volatile. I'm not sure exactly how it would be accomplished but to put it into a cigar analogy, I almost see it as "infused" with the sweet vanilla flavor that the 2nd gen Zaya was known for.

To depart sharply from the cigar analogy, I actually like this "infused" product. I think Gen 3 Zaya is still a fantastic spirit. It's not harder on the palate afterwards (which some of the flavored liquors I've had previously can be). It's also still very drinkable neat. It's just a little sharper. Perhaps people who didn't gravitate to zaya for it's sweet smoothness will enjoy it more now. It's still noticeably vanilla-y just in a more "manly" way.
Totally agree with the description. But I can't stomach it neat. I like a burn in my bourbon, but in rum I like it smooth. Maybe I'll try it one more time, I went straight from the old to the new, so that might have been palate shock situation.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Re: RE: Re: Yeah, thanks, Craig...

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:34 pm

IWinchester wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:Yeah, Zaya is $75ish here at most liquor stores. Once in a while you can find it for dirt cheap at $58.
I am afraid to try the new Zaya blend, I heard it was changed. I still working through my last bottle of older blend. I really can't find anything better than Havana Club Maestros for me though. It fits my palate. Good thing I am going to Havana in a couple months Image

Cigar F^iend
My brief description of the "new" zaya is accurate above. It smells better. Truly shockingly better. I think that was 100% intentional. That being said, I think the rum used to create that nose in the new blend was more volatile. I'm not sure exactly how it would be accomplished but to put it into a cigar analogy, I almost see it as "infused" with the sweet vanilla flavor that the 2nd gen Zaya was known for.

To depart sharply from the cigar analogy, I actually like this "infused" product. I think Gen 3 Zaya is still a fantastic spirit. It's not harder on the palate afterwards (which some of the flavored liquors I've had previously can be). It's also still very drinkable neat. It's just a little sharper. Perhaps people who didn't gravitate to zaya for it's sweet smoothness will enjoy it more now. It's still noticeably vanilla-y just in a more "manly" way.
Totally agree with the description. But I can't stomach it neat. I like a burn in my bourbon, but in rum I like it smooth. Maybe I'll try it one more time, I went straight from the old to the new, so that might have been palate shock situation.
This is why I liked Zaya. I am an alcohol-bite wuss. I like my alcohols smooth. I cannot drink scotch, bourbon, whiskeys and a lot of other spirits as they are all just too "hot".

Cigar F^iend

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:38 pm

I was the only person who was on the Cigar Tourism trip to Nicaragua who liked the 18 Year old Flor de Cana with the cigar while pairing. Everyone else chose the 7 year. It was just much smoother and less overpowering with the flavor profile. I have this issue with that alcohol bite attacking my soft palate and causing a burn from my tonsils to my nasal passage. I choose to always add an ice cube to cut it down even more. I want flavor, not alcohol. If they made the same drink without alcohol, I would drink that.

Cigar F^iend

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Zedman05 wrote:I was the only person who was on the Cigar Tourism trip to Nicaragua who liked the 18 Year old Flor de Cana with the cigar while pairing. Everyone else chose the 7 year. It was just much smoother and less overpowering with the flavor profile. I have this issue with that alcohol bite attacking my soft palate and causing a burn from my tonsils to my nasal passage. I choose to always add an ice cube to cut it down even more. I want flavor, not alcohol. If they made the same drink without alcohol, I would drink that.

Cigar F^iend
I agree 100%.
Ironically, I think I disagree with you about which spirit provides what type of bite. HC Maestros has more of a bite than Zaya. Admittedly, this is now when I'm not smoking as much. When I have a well used palate, the Maestros is much more well rounded and with practically zero bite. You must smoke more than 2 cigars a week...

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:45 pm

I try to keep it under 10. It is usually 4-7/week

Cigar F^iend