Yeah, thanks, Craig...

Write 'em up, boys....give us your advice on your favorite/least favorite cigars, accessories, or pairings...
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Yeah, thanks, Craig...

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:18 pm

Just what I need... A $50/bottle obsession. Dang, this is good!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (190.99 KiB) Viewed 9255 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

magste
Thor Down Under

Re: Yeah, thanks, Craig...

Post by magste » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:20 am

At least it's only $50 in the USA. It's almost twice that here in Australia..

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:11 am

Stewmuse wrote:Just what I need... A $50/bottle obsession. Dang, this is good!
And remember, that's not even my favorite :) PS-Where'd you purchase? High $40s seems higher than I expected.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:12 am

magste wrote:At least it's only $50 in the USA. It's almost twice that here in Australia..
Holy hell! Not only can I get that for somewhere in the mid-high $30s, It's amazing that it's approaching TRIPLE that elsewhere! If that's the case, I'm more than happy to put a little package together if you'd ever like to buy a bottle for US prices. We could use it as an opportunity to trade a few sticks as well. Just say the word! I am mandated to spread the good word of RUM to all the world!

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:55 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:
And remember, that's not even my favorite :) PS-Where'd you purchase? High $40s seems higher than I expected.
Binny's $49.99
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Stewmuse wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:
Binny's $49.99
Wow. Don't buy it again. Reach for Zaya which is readily available for about $15-20 less

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:14 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Stewmuse wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:
Binny's $49.99
Wow. Don't buy it again. Reach for Zaya which is readily available for about $15-20 less
That new Zaya just isn't the same though...

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:05 am

IWinchester wrote:
kurtdesign1 wrote:
Stewmuse wrote:
Binny's $49.99
That new Zaya just isn't the same though...
I totally agree. Better nose, hotter on the palate. That being said, it mixes better and works better on the rocks. I drink neat (mainly) so I am on the lookout for a potential newcomer. It's pretty damn hard to find one for a comparable price though...

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:20 pm

Yeah, Zaya is $75ish here at most liquor stores. Once in a while you can find it for dirt cheap at $58.
I am afraid to try the new Zaya blend, I heard it was changed. I still working through my last bottle of older blend. I really can't find anything better than Havana Club Maestros for me though. It fits my palate. Good thing I am going to Havana in a couple months

Cigar F^iend

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Zedman05 wrote:Yeah, Zaya is $75ish here at most liquor stores. Once in a while you can find it for dirt cheap at $58.
I am afraid to try the new Zaya blend, I heard it was changed. I still working through my last bottle of older blend. I really can't find anything better than Havana Club Maestros for me though. It fits my palate. Good thing I am going to Havana in a couple months Image

Cigar F^iend
My brief description of the "new" zaya is accurate above. It smells better. Truly shockingly better. I think that was 100% intentional. That being said, I think the rum used to create that nose in the new blend was more volatile. I'm not sure exactly how it would be accomplished but to put it into a cigar analogy, I almost see it as "infused" with the sweet vanilla flavor that the 2nd gen Zaya was known for.

To depart sharply from the cigar analogy, I actually like this "infused" product. I think Gen 3 Zaya is still a fantastic spirit. It's not harder on the palate afterwards (which some of the flavored liquors I've had previously can be). It's also still very drinkable neat. It's just a little sharper. Perhaps people who didn't gravitate to zaya for it's sweet smoothness will enjoy it more now. It's still noticeably vanilla-y just in a more "manly" way.