C'est fini! Almost...

Write 'em up, boys....give us your advice on your favorite/least favorite cigars, accessories, or pairings...
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

C'est fini! Almost...

Post by Kip » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:13 am

After a marathon session of fixing code and reformatting, I have the reviews into a more community-driven format now. Most all of the ones written after the institution of the numerical rating system have been updated to the new style. Now, as I mentioned in an earlier post, everyone can leave detailed scores for each category as well as written notes. The only thing I know will change is that the picture and score summary at the bottom will move to the top later on. I'm working with the guy who wrote the software to break it apart from the user reviews. Right now, they're bound together at the bottom. Have at it...if you've smoked any of these feel free to leave your reviews.

I will next work on getting those of you who have profiles on Half Ashed (all forum members do already) the ability to peruse reviews by user - and, by extension, have a record of all that you've submitted. That way, you can have a record of your thoughts (if you don't keep that already for yourself).

CIGAR REVIEWS
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: C'est fini! Almost...

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Muy bien!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:37 pm

I love it! I just added a review for the Joya Red and it was incredibly simple. Nice addition to the site, Kip

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:04 pm

As an addendum, I see a lot of point-somethings in your numbers. You don't HAVE to try and line up the slider exactly where you want it. Just type over the "0.0" in the box beside it and you can call it an even "90" or whatever number you want...

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat May 07, 2016 2:01 pm

So, with a bit more time on my hands than I've had for months, I've been tinkering again. All the above-mentioned user review capability remains, but I've been toying with the post template for reviews. I actually created a whole new Custom Post Type (which means nothing to readers; it only pertains to me basically). I changed a few layout things, etc. Like I said, all the capabilities remain - but what do you guys like/dislike about the latest review format (linked below)? This is merely a question of aesthetics. What other design changes or information additions would be helpful for most people? As I learn more coding, I can do most anything. I'd like to put together something informative but not overburdened. I want it simple enough to maintain readability, but with as much detail as is feasible.

CLICK HERE

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Sat May 07, 2016 3:38 pm

So are there now no more number assignments?

Huh? There are still numbers.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sat May 07, 2016 5:56 pm

ALL the same information is there...I just changed the layout some. The numbers are toward the bottom, where they were before.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:37 am

I'm learning just enough coding to be dangerous. I created a new custom post type for reviews and made it so that the numerical summary is in the sidebar. This reduces the length of the page for each review, which has been a problem. Too long a page makes most folks move on without actually reading. The user's ability to add their own review remains at the bottom of the page....

CLICK HERE for an example.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:19 pm

Looks clean on a iPhone 5s

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:56 pm

IWinchester wrote:Looks clean on a iPhone 5s
I still have a lot of mobile work to do. In particular, the requirements for spacing elements appropriately are tough to navigate. If things are too far apart, it is hard to scroll around. If they're too close, Google doesn't like it and flags as a mobile incompatibility. The happy medium is hard to find. I'm basically editing to be desktop friendly then going back and making it more mobile-friendly. I'm keeping the basic mobile friendliness to Google's satisfaction, but not really focusing on it until the last step.