General accompaniment

Write 'em up, boys....give us your advice on your favorite/least favorite cigars, accessories, or pairings...
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

General accompaniment

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:24 am

I have heard numerous times about coffee being a favorite thing to have with a cigar, but for me (and while I regularly drink black coffee), that is usually too much of a bitter taste to add to a cigar. I need a sweeter main drink, most always diet coke or root beer, sometimes bring along a second "harder" beverage, like JD. Never beer, tho.
And since I don't really review cigars, I always try a new stick with one of these (usually diet coke), since that is what I am most likely have when smoking.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Coop
Payaso Cigarro

Re: General accompaniment

Post by Coop » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:05 pm

I go with beer or bourbon when I'm not smoking in my car

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:34 pm

Do you then go with rum when smoking in your car? :shock:
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:01 am

I drink a lot of ice water in general, so it follows that this is often the case with a cigar. I'm one of the folks you mention who often has coffee with a smoke as well. In fact, I'm doing it right now...

I know Dan Crouch often drinks various types of root beer with his cigars. I have on rare occasions had soft drinks with 'em, but tend to shy away because the fizz stings my palate. I'll opt for root beer when I do though, because the burn is reduced for whatever reason....oh, BTW, I never drink it from the can/bottle when smoking. It's always poured over ice. That seems to deaden the burn effect as well.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 am

Someday I will put together a formal collection of my cigar thoughts and theories. Someday... Until then, I'll just share another one.
The single most impactful thing on a cigar's flavor is the (kinda gross. get ready for it) quantity and viscosity of my oral saliva/mucus. Think of milk. In many people it causes a minor cough or throat congestion. The resulting phlegm can be a bit annoying. To a much lesser extent, coffee and some other drinks cause this. This heightened/additional saliva seems to "filter" the smoke and causes a build-up of what would typically be bitter or offputting.
There's more detail here (the fact that I don't think we actually produce MORE phlegm but rather it becomes more "sticky") but the main point comes across: Oral status has an amazing impact on how we perceive and taste cigars. In fact, I would say that it is BY FAR the most important factor of tasting.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:12 pm

I mostly drink water when doing reviews, but often I'll drink coffee as well since I generally know how my Peruvian Aeropress coffee tastes. But like Stew, my other favorite is Coke. I read somewhere that the largest personal humidor belongs to a Japanese gentleman and that he ONLY drinks Coke with his innumerable sticks. Interesting. I also agree with Craig. When I'm sick and my fluids are crazy, it throws the taste of
My favorite cigars off. Same thing with a plugged nose.

Chubno
Man o' Many Talents

Post by Chubno » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:02 pm

I enjoy some teas with my cigar. Back in the old days Bob made a comment about Red Zinger tea so I gave it a try, I liked it!

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:21 pm

Tat Havana VI Nobles and Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy. A match made in heaven.

Kid Corona

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:21 pm

If you guys missed Cigar Chat tonight, YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD IT!! Jonathan Drew was on FIRE

Kid Corona

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:49 pm

What's the gist of his interview?

You've been Tapatalk'd