Altria/Nat Sherman

Got the scoop on a hot new story? New line? Other cool stuff? New legislation in your area?Post it here....
f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Altria/Nat Sherman

Post by f.sinagra » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:30 pm

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article ... ade-cigars

Not for nothing, I love Dave’s “end of the world” take on things. Sometimes l’ll call BS, but in the end he’s always right. Something to also note: according to The Cigar Authority, 2Guys is taking the Nat Sherman product offline in the AM. https://thecigarauthority.com/i-sometim ... editorial/

https://developingpalates.com/editorial ... o-the-fda/

What are y’all thoughts? Sure the parent-company has the capital, but with “Nat Sherman” green lighting the re-branding, I’m scratching my head a little...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Altria/Nat Sherman

Post by Kip » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:52 pm

For the record, Swisher International is on the record as of the same mind (or similar, with opposition to CRA and similar associated exemptions as far back as 2015). So, those disavowing themselves of Nat Sherman should do the same for Drew Estate (owned by Swisher).

Altria bought Nat Sherman just to get a toe in the water with premium cigars. It's just a name - there's no Nat Sherman factory, etc. In comparison to the parent's cigarette business, NS is absolutely insignificant. Boycotting them won't hurt Altria in the least.

That being said, screw 'em. I can't think of a single NS cigar I've ever purchased more than once (a few have been decent, but I've never thought "I gotta get me more of these"). I know Quesada and Plasencia make most of their stuff, and I like some of their other products. It's just that for whatever reason I don't care for what they've historically selected as a final blend for NS. Meh.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 pm

I read a CA article last night about this and had a similar thought to Kip. "Another big tobacco company puts that over cigars, e.g. Swisher." We even talked about that on the show a few months back. It makes sense to me and seems a little silly that we'd expect a multi billion dollar corporation to think the opposite. It sucks but this is precisely the reason these mergers between "big" tobacco and cigar companies has always worried me.

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Altria/Nat Sherman

Post by f.sinagra » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:38 pm

**For dramatic effect** And so the plot thickens: https://thecigarauthority.com/michael-h ... statement/

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:59 pm

I see a lot of people defending either Herklots or the NS division of the company because (of course) they have no control of the parent. That being said, I know both Smoke Inn and Corona claim to have already pulled products from the shelves and are blowing them out. Those are 2 of, if not *the 2* biggest Florida retail chains. Even if Nat Sherman is only a drop in Altria's bucket, I'd assume if those kinds of instant drops in business are happening nationwide, Nat Sherman will become a liability to them in a hurry. Maybe not the physical locations in NYC, but as a cigar brand that would hurt real bad real fast.

Does Altria just eat that liability? Shut down production with the makers of their sticks and just keep the shops going? Divest of the company? I'm interested to see how this plays out, even if from sheer morbid curiosity....

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:51 pm

and from Smoke Inn....
SmokeInn wrote:There has been a lot of backlash against Nat Sherman and Michael Herklots over the last few days. While the sentiment is exactly what it is, we need to keep something in perspective.

YES...I will be pulling all NS product from our shelves and blowing them out...I am pulling the product in order to show my contempt of Altria and Not support them in any way.

I am Pretty positive that Michael Herklots and everyone at Nat Sherman felt complete dread and frustration when they knew about the statement that Altria was making. Nat Sherman has long been a historic and respected Family in this industry and Michael Herklots has been a positive pivotal figure in this industry for almost two decades. I personally sat at a private lunch almost a decade ago when NS first hired Michael Herklots. They sat there and told us of their great plan to overhaul the company. Change the brands from being JR Discount cigars to Premium Bands supported by B&Ms. And that’s exactly what they did. Unfortunately, the end game for most companies is to eventually sell and Cash out...which is what the Sherman’s did. Honestly...who can blame them. This industry is one LONG constant battle with our own Government trying to regulate us to death.

That being said, any anger towards Michael Herklots or Nat Sherman is misplaced. Don’t get me wrong...I agree 100% that we as an industry should not support anyone who threatens the health and prosperity of our business...but I’m pretty sure neither NS or MH had a say in this position.

So while I am 100% on board in showing our opposition to Altria, I think we should all be a little mindful towards a great Family Name and Those who work there.

Let’s remember who Is actually the Dark Force here when making our comments.

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:05 pm

Well, we know how Carlito feels Image

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:05 pm

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:32 am

f.sinagra wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:05 pm
Frank (Nice to meet you, btw), what was Skip referring to with his quote? I am unfamiliar with that thread.