FOH Newsletter

Got the scoop on a hot new story? New line? Other cool stuff? New legislation in your area?Post it here....
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

FOH Newsletter

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 am

Greetings All--
On a show last month I mentioned the Friends of Habanos newsletter and the briefing included about their comprehensive mold testing. Below is the 2nd newsletter from the organization known as FoH, and it includes a brief follow up about the test, as well as much about Cuba and Cuban cigars on the whole. Good read.

Hmm, on second thought, it appears I cannot attach a PDF. As such, I've just copied the pertinant paragraph on the testing below. If you want a copy I can forward you the email. That's about all I can figure since I can't find a page where it's posted on their website, it's too many pages to make jpgs out of and the forum won't accept a PDF attachment. Suggestions?

Mould Testing Underway
Our Mould study is underway with our spore samples bagged up and off to the scientists for testing. Again, many thanks to all who have helped out with samples here. Let’s see if we can break down what types of moulds we are dealing with in the world of cigars as well as finding any definitive examples of “plume”. The end game (for me) is to identify what “plume” is and what brings it about.

EDIT: Here we go.
foh.pdf
(791.93 KiB) Downloaded 476 times

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: FOH Newsletter

Post by Kip » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:15 pm

PDF now enabled. Should be good to go...
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Sorry. Turns out there's more than 1 step to enabling non-image docs....
sdq.pdf
(192.58 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
(ignore; this is a test file)

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:34 am

We are good now. See original post.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 am

So I opened up a tin of MacBaren's "Old Dark Fired", a pressed Burley/Virginia blend of pipe tobacco. There was some mold present, which tells me it was probably packed a bit moist (Nov 2012 pack date; seal intact until I popped it). However, it's not bad so I'll smoke it (in fact, I'm smoking it right this moment). Thought I'd post a few pics. Note the mold growth along the striations where presumably their cutter sliced the flakes from the original cake of tobacco. This kind of mild molding is *exactly* what most guys confuse for plume - which is a real thing on pipe tobacco just like cigars, and just as often mis-diagnosed.
odf1.jpg
odf1.jpg (628.3 KiB) Viewed 11402 times
odf2.jpg
odf2.jpg (769 KiB) Viewed 11402 times

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 am

I flippin love legitimate mold/plume pics and discussion. There's a sinister part of me that enjoys knowing someone else is wrong but still arguing, nonetheless. We can't all be white hearted angels...