Sammy

Got the scoop on a hot new story? New line? Other cool stuff? New legislation in your area?Post it here....
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Sammy

Post by Kip » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:31 pm

This has now made the news rounds through the states, but we had some rough news here locally yesterday. Sammy Mendez, manager of Fuente Factory #1, was found dead yesterday just after lunch time from an apparent suicide. This has left me absolutely stunned. He was only 44 years old, and I've never seen anything but a smile on his face. We weren't close friends by any stretch, but we knew each other when we would end up in the same place/time. The guy was incredibly well versed in most all aspects of tobacco from seedling to cigar. His dad still works for Fuente in Villa Gonzalez, and Sammy began in the fields and worked his way up to running the whole flagship factory. He had an unbelievably amicable personality and willingness to share his knowledge and time with anyone. He's been Carlito's #2 in the factory for many years. I never saw this coming at all.

It really brings home the point that we never know what's going on in folks' heads - whether looming problems that become insurmountable in our minds, to chemical imbalances or any other thing that can lead someone to take their own life. From all outward appearances, Sammy was happy. He had a phenomenal job in a good company and environment, was afforded the opportunity to rise to the upper 1% of the population in terms of material wealth, had a wife and two lovely children, and was loved by many. Five days ago, he was posting pictures of him and his buddies out riding their motorcycles and having a good time. The people at the factory said he was at work yesterday morning smiling and as happy as ever. But, something...some problem...was big enough to lead him to this. It's a cautionary tale to be on your guard.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Sammy

Post by Stewmuse » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:50 pm

That is unfortunate. The usually-suspicious mind I have, though, wonders that if he really was so outwardly happy, perhaps there are some other forces involved. How thorough do you suppose the authorities are in such matters?
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.