Quality Control in cigar biz

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
BowhuntnHoosier
Odocoileus Smoke 'Em

Quality Control in cigar biz

Post by BowhuntnHoosier » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 am

How many think that the QC has went down in the last few years in cigar manufacturing? I seem to get a lot more stems(logs) in my cigars and also just overall tightly rolled cigars than I did say 5+ years ago. I wonder, is it do to demand is up. Therefore rollers are hurrying the process too much? Or is it just me and the cigars I have been unlucky enough to purchase. It is all brands. From Padron to Rocky Patel. Have you seen any other issues in manufacturing of cigars lately?
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self. Ernest Hemingway

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Quality Control in cigar biz

Post by Kip » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:52 pm

My experience is off kilter because of the steady supply of known subpar cigars I smoke lately, but I've definitely seen this type of thing at different times over the years. Back during the boom in the 90s, it was horrible. Everything seemed to be rushed then to meet the demand - from leaf processing, rolling, and post-production handling to hurried handling in transit. I haven't pondered it recently, but there could definitely be some adverse effect from the uncertainty of the industry's future, the consolidation of brands under fewer umbrellas, etc. It's certainly an interesting conversation point.

Sent via Caribbean smoke signal

White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:22 am

I think some will vary with the small production brands - specifically where other people are making cigars for them or some of the small brands that were purchase by the mega corps. It seems like those are more hit or miss while some of the larger stalwarts are still there.

I say this but my purchases are not as heavy now days as in past since I try to work through what I have in inventory ... still not winning that war. Besides the random set I receive from the Cigar Authority care package, my recent purchases have been Tatuaje, Illusion, Guardian of the Farm - Argonosa, and Diesels - AJ Fernandez. the quality in those have still been there.

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:49 pm

I will admit to also not buying much lately. What I have bought seems to be of the same 'quality' as usual. No huge stems or cigars unraveling bar the occasional mishap with a $1 wonder.
I would point out that a drop in quality and hike in price is not exclusive to cigars. Lots of things seem to fall in that trap of consolidation and profit. Cigars, pro wrestling :lol:, ovens, freezers, cars, etc... There is a lack of true competition when one person owns all the teams. So I think your on to something with your consolidation theory Kip.
Why DOES the moon follow the car?