Would you rather .....

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Would you rather .....

Post by Zedman05 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:41 pm

.....spend $10+ for every cigar you smoke, and smoke only the most enjoyable cigars for your palate while only getting to enjoy these a third the amount that you currently smoke.

....smoke cheaper cigars that you will have a basically unlimited supply of because they are cheaper. The only thing is; they are just ok. They will be what would be considered just above a "yard-gar". The benefit of this is that you will never have to run out of cigars, you can have an unlimited number of different cigars too in that category.

So what say you; pricey and delicious with much less volume, or unlimited volume with cigars that are just ok ?

Cigar F^iend

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Would you rather .....

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:30 am

I guess that really depends on how may of those $10 smokes I can comfortably afford. In the winter, I could probably get by with a few a week, but in the summer, when I might have 20 a week, i'd need to get a subsidy!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:50 am

Quality over quantity all the way. Not even close.

Besides - one third of my normal is still pretty good :)

...just a hillbilly, Tappin' and a-Talkin'
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:03 am

I probably average 1 or 2 a week (show not included). Cutting that into 1/3 would be difficult for me. That means I'm at probably 2 a month. The difficulty there is that, while I don't feel I'm addicted, I enjoy the act of smoking almost as much as I enjoy the flavors. Would I be willing to have the quality relaxation & herf more often even though the quality tobacco was not included? I'm not sure.

I think there's a cutoff for me or someone in my position. I have to imagine that Stew, with his 20 a week in summer, doesn't sit down for 90 minutes and just relax or read or herf for every one of those cigars. He'd get nothing done. Dropping to less than one a day for him (6-2/3 cigars a week, down from 20) would still allow him the one or two times we all find weekly to just relax & enjoy something beautifully tasty. If I'm smoking less than once every other week, I'm pretty sure I'd miss the culture, brotherhood, education & industry more than the flavor lost if I smoked more regularly.

This is 180 degrees opposite of what I'd have expected to say.

Quikstryke
Capitán Impresionante

Post by Quikstryke » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:00 am

Thats why I do a mix of both. I spoke 2 to 6 cigars a day. So I try to find the best budget stick ie: Illusione Rothschild. Then I keep a stach of higher priced sticks for alone time when im at peace and able to relax 100%

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:46 pm

I'm like you, Quik. About 1/5 of my sticks are really special, 2/5 are my average $5-9 dollar smokes that I really enjoy, and the last 2/5 are cheapies that I don't mind if I drop them or can't finish. BUT I also have a 50 count "moochador" full of sticks I know I won't ever smoke (besides when I have a cold). These are for non -smoking friends who just wanna join in on the action with no desire for ever getting more into cigars. They're bundles I've outgrown, winnings from online stuff that I didn't like, and 5-packs that I smoked 1 or 2 from and didn't like.

Kid Corona

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:34 pm

This question is hardest on those who love their cigars, but don't have the ability to smoke as often. I personally could drop myself down to 1-2 a week, as per this question, but like Craig, I would miss everything that goes along with it.
I would rather have quality over quantity as well.

Cigar F^iend

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:20 am

Actually, unless sitting with a friend, which is uncommon, very few of the sticks I smoke are done as an activity in and of themselves. Rather, the cigars are my accompaniment to some kind work, be it composing or arranging music, playing trumpet, or preparing notes for classroom teaching. Occasionally with a "fun" book, but not often. Heck, even when listening to HA shows, I have my horn in my hands. I am way too self-worrisome/loathsome to not be working on SOMETHING. My own problem, but I know that I am pretty much incapable of just sitting and relaxing. So, perhaps, the cigars are helping me be productive, as they help make the work more enjoyable!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:01 am

Stewmuse wrote:.....Heck, even when listening to HA shows, I have my horn in my hands. ......

Waaaay too much information :twisted:
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:28 am

nice...! :shock:
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.