mail-order COTM club

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

mail-order COTM club

Post by f.sinagra » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:16 am

Sup guys?

Curious to know your thoughts on these mail-order cigar of the month clubs? I see maybe one or two of you use them, so I want to know your thoughts....

Personally, I know what I like, and some of those surveys that you have to take before are so bogus because every palate tastes something different. I think the only positive that one gets out of that is trying something that’s may be new to you, or a “club exclusive”.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

akpreacher
Forum Denizen

Re: mail-order COTM club

Post by akpreacher » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:33 pm

As you’ve probably seen I’m a big EZ fan and I think their COTM is a great deal. You end up with a good mix of regular production, limited release and club exclusive sticks.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 am

akpreacher wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:33 pm
As you’ve probably seen I’m a big EZ fan and I think their COTM is a great deal. You end up with a good mix of regular production, limited release and club exclusive sticks.

Well that sure explains all the EZ. Cool.
Little known story, I organized the Dogwatch CotM club 10+ years ago between Bob and Dale and an acquaintance, Tim. They did not do a survey of tastes as discussed above but did have to handle a lot of the customer correspondence & such. It was a cluster. Everyone had opinions on a thousand and one things and the sellers (not B&D) were not expecting a large commitment to hand holding the participants. It became a completely uncustomized entity where the benefit above a regular retailer was only pricing being slightly lower. The glory of a dedicated concierge or expert at your fingertips seems to not fall in line with the reality of a small(ish) group being able to support that dedication.
If you don't have a good B&M around and want to try assorted sticks, I think they're a good idea. If you're in NY and a good tobacconist is within a half hour, save yourself the membership and just start a relationship with said tobacconist.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:44 pm

I have done the cigar authority's monthly club for the last couple of years. It is a good random set of cigars and many that I have not tried ... these are the about the only new cigars I get in each month and buy on a regular basis because lets just say I have a few thousand that I need to go through before I do a lot of purchasing again. they provide a random set of cigars to try each month but you have to be okay with some not being your preferred go to cigar taste or style. That being said, I have been presently surprised that some I did not look forward to smoking turned out to be great cigars that would have been missed if they had not shown up in the package.