Wrapper thickness vs. Filler

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Wrapper thickness vs. Filler

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:06 am

It was discussed on the show a few weeks back about the cigar leaving a narrower ash than ring gauge. I mentioned that I thought thicker wrappers showed this more than thin ones. So here's a thick San Andres wrapper on a small cigar. This is a really big difference here and makes me wonder if the wrapper doesn't burn away more than the binder/filler.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (123 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: Wrapper thickness vs. Filler

Post by IWinchester » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:35 pm

Makes sense to me. I've got a thin Ecuadorian conn. wrapper now and the ash is almost as big as the cigar body.

Kid Corona

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:05 am

The discussion on the show actually centered on cigar vs. ash length, but RG is an equally perplexing aspect of this. Some early thoughts are:
-Wrapper is potentially slightly more hydrated in most cigars unless significantly aged in the same location (12+months). This would cause the evaporation just prior to combustion to decrease volume significantly. (See ICC .com under "Wayne's Corner" for a more scientific writeup on this. The difference in smoke color off the foot/head is attributed to combustion vs. evaporation)
-thinner delicate wrappers have the same ratio of whole:ash volume degradation but the change is nearly imperceptible.
-Thinner wrappers have less processing, thus they break down very little during combustion. Conversely, thicker wrappers need to be processed significantly longer in order to be ready to smoke/MFG. That additional processing allows the combustion to be more complete, which means less matter remains in the form of ash afterwards. Therefore, the change in size is more significant.

Now, how all this plays into ash length is somethign I'm not educated enough to comment on. I'll try to remedy that shortly though!

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:05 am

That all makes sense to me! T'anx!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanx for confirmation on