Palate changing

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Palate changing

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:42 pm

So I have been having a hard time eith cigars since Friday night. I am finding an attack on the roof of my mouth making smoking cigars not as enjoyable as usual. I tried cold drinks, hot drinks, alcoholic drinks and straight water. No change.
I have had a definitive change in palate preferance before, and this seems to be on par with that last experience. It is almost like I smoked too many stronger cigars and now am getting a push back. I really am not having an issue with the softer Cuban cigars, but anything else is an issue.
Has anyone else had a notifable changing of tastes before ? I have, once, and it is just an odd occurance.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: Palate changing

Post by IWinchester » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:38 pm

I go through seasons where I feel like i lose a piece of my palate and cigars just don't taste as deep as I'd like. But I've never had a shift like you mention...

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:42 am

Zedman05 wrote:So I have been having a hard time eith cigars since Friday night. I am finding an attack on the roof of my mouth making smoking cigars not as enjoyable as usual. I tried cold drinks, hot drinks, alcoholic drinks and straight water. No change.
I have had a definitive change in palate preferance before, and this seems to be on par with that last experience. It is almost like I smoked too many stronger cigars and now am getting a push back. I really am not having an issue with the softer Cuban cigars, but anything else is an issue.
Has anyone else had a notifable changing of tastes before ? I have, once, and it is just an odd occurance.

You are describing the exact phenomena that caused me to smoke cuban cigars exclusively in the early 2000s. Their softer approachable flavors did not irritate my palate. Through many many moons of experimenting, I did find that a contributing factor was hydration. I needed to be more hydrated BEFORE i started smoking. The texture of my saliva was where the problem lied and if it was more "concentrated" from even being slightly dry, I noticed the acrid taste much much more.

Load up on water for a few hours before your next cigar. Light up and enjoy. I bet this helps, though you may be like me and have to live in the lighter realm for a little while.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Re: RE: Re: Palate changing

Post by Zedman05 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:09 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:So I have been having a hard time eith cigars since Friday night. I am finding an attack on the roof of my mouth making smoking cigars not as enjoyable as usual. I tried cold drinks, hot drinks, alcoholic drinks and straight water. No change.

You are describing the exact phenomena that caused me to smoke cuban cigars exclusively in the early 2000s. Their softer approachable flavors did not irritate my palate. Through many many moons of experimenting, I did find that a contributing factor was hydration. I needed to be more hydrated BEFORE i started smoking. The texture of my saliva was where the problem lied and if it was more "concentrated" from even being slightly dry, I noticed the acrid taste much much more.

Load up on water for a few hours before your next cigar. Light up and enjoy. I bet this helps, though you may be like me and have to live in the lighter realm for a little while.
I bet that might be a contributing factor as I definitely drink less water when it gets colder out.
I don't mind smoking lighter stuff, but the issue is that I do have a very limited supply. I usually run in the medium strength category, and bought a bunch of stronger stuff lately to smoke as I was craving that this summer. Now I need to start watching my fluid intake more.
Thanks for the advice.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:08 pm

I can echo the hydration point. I almost always drink at least 20 oz of water with a cigar and can notice a difference if I don't have h2o handy

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:01 pm

I ALWAYS have a drink of some sort handy. I don't drink a lot, but whenever I feel like I should have a sip or feel thirsty, I down some hydrating fluid. I have seen people smoke without any fluids, I have gawked, amazed, at how it would be possible.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Zedman05 wrote:I ALWAYS have a drink of some sort handy. I don't drink a lot, but whenever I feel like I should have a sip or feel thirsty, I down some hydrating fluid. I have seen people smoke without any fluids, I have gawked, amazed, at how it would be possible.

Oddly, on a river I never drink. Otherwise, I always am drinking with a cigar.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:32 pm

I drink a lot. Plus, I occasionally drink water.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:07 am

kurtdesign1 wrote:Oddly, on a river I never drink. Otherwise, I always am drinking with a cigar.
This coming from the man who owns not one, but TWO Camelbaks....
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:31 pm

I played hockey on Monday night (game). I just don't get that thirsty. 1.5 hour game and only drank 1/3 of my water bottle. Does anyone else just not drink a lot of water when it is cool/cold out ? I don't have a problem actually drinking water itself, it is the onlyfluid I drink during the day other than a coffee. I like water, I just wonder if it is just me ?