Coolidor

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
The Banker
Churchill

Re: Coolidor

Post by The Banker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Time for the air dry.
20180922_173046.jpg
20180922_173046.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 9439 times

The Banker
Churchill

Post by The Banker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:16 pm

As you've seen I need to start shopping.

I try to save a buck when I can and part of the enjoyment I have with cigars is getting a good deal. I'm going to hold off until the holidays to see if any of the sites are running big sales or if I can steal some auctions. My original intention was to store only boxes and the freebie singles I got from the deals in this one but I've noticed how even the box deals/auctions aren't that cheap compared to 5 or 10 packs. I can get a box of 15 Upmanns on sale for $100ish or I can get three 5 packs for $40 and put them in a used factory annuity box from Ebay for $6 or a cedar tray for $15-$20.

Would the cigars age in their factory sealed boxes that much better than in a non-sealed box or cedar tray to justify the price difference?

If the answer is no, the next question would be whether to go with buying the factory boxes for each brand I smoke or the cedar trays. The price difference doesn't matter for this part. If there is not a difference in quality of care for the cigars I will probably buy the boxes for organizational purposes.

I also have solid cedar planks on the way that I plan on lining the back with. What would be the best adhesive to use to ensure no odor but something that will hold up to the humidity?

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:28 am

The Banker wrote:As you've seen I need to start shopping.

I try to save a buck when I can and part of the enjoyment I have with cigars is getting a good deal. I'm going to hold off until the holidays to see if any of the sites are running big sales or if I can steal some auctions. My original intention was to store only boxes and the freebie singles I got from the deals in this one but I've noticed how even the box deals/auctions aren't that cheap compared to 5 or 10 packs. I can get a box of 15 Upmanns on sale for $100ish or I can get three 5 packs for $40 and put them in a used factory annuity box from Ebay for $6 or a cedar tray for $15-$20.

Would the cigars age in their factory sealed boxes that much better than in a non-sealed box or cedar tray to justify the price difference?

If the answer is no, the next question would be whether to go with buying the factory boxes for each brand I smoke or the cedar trays. The price difference doesn't matter for this part. If there is not a difference in quality of care for the cigars I will probably buy the boxes for organizational purposes.

I also have solid cedar planks on the way that I plan on lining the back with. What would be the best adhesive to use to ensure no odor but something that will hold up to the humidity?
My thoughts, and these are just ramblings, are that I would rather have my cigars in a wooden or dress box, rather than singles in the open humidor. I do not like the idea of constant air exchange when opening the humidor with singles. I would rather keep them in a box, so that the swings in air humidity will greatly deminish. Plus I am of the belief that the cigars age better in a box of their own kind. The "air" in the box is of all the same cigars and thus all the mingling will produce a melded flavor profile.
You also run less of a risk of mold transfer if everything is inside boxes, if you have that issue. Beetles, same idea.

Food for thought.

The Banker
Churchill

Post by The Banker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks for the feedback. Would just wiping the boxes with rubbing alcohol be sufficient to clean them? I think I can season them all individually before going in the humidor so each time I get.a new box it isn't such a shock going in to the larger environment.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:42 pm

f.sinagra wrote:I’ve seen coolidors that look like organized and ones that look like a mess lol — the mess that comes to mind is Glynn from Cigar Obsession. Would it be possible for y’all to share some pictures of your setups?

Would love to get a picture to go with the text. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought this a while ago. Holds humidity really well. Sealed the drain hole at the bottom of cabinet, and voila...best thing I have used yet.
Put 2-3 65% Bovedas/shelf, and you are set. Image

The Banker
Churchill

Post by The Banker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Do you have it plugged in? I would think disconnecting the cooling element but leaving the fan powered up would be pretty simple or does the fan generate too much heat?

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Zedman05 wrote:
f.sinagra wrote:I’ve seen coolidors that look like organized and ones that look like a mess lol — the mess that comes to mind is Glynn from Cigar Obsession. Would it be possible for y’all to share some pictures of your setups?

I bought this a while ago. Holds humidity really well. Sealed the drain hole at the bottom of cabinet, and voila...best thing I have used yet.
I remember you posting that! Didn’t know you were turning it into a coolidor. So bad ass, Zed! Gonna keep an eye out for something like that now!

Question: Have you cedar-lined the unit, or just left it as is with cigars in boxes?

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:14 pm

f.sinagra wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:

I remember you posting that! Didn’t know you were turning it into a coolidor. So bad ass, Zed! Gonna keep an eye out for something like that now!

Question: Have you cedar-lined the unit, or just left it as is with cigars in boxes?

It is the best humidor I have had. Better than the wine-fridge tbh. I just put all my aging stuff in there, so everything is in a box, unless it is a custom-rolled bundle. Even those, I tend to try to find an old box big enough.

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Zedman05 wrote:
f.sinagra wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:I bought this a while ago. Holds humidity really well. Sealed the drain hole at the bottom of cabinet, and voila...best thing I have used yet.

It is the best humidor I have had. Better than the wine-fridge tbh. I just put all my aging stuff in there, so everything is in a box, unless it is a custom-rolled bundle. Even those, I tend to try to find an old box big enough.
What’s the cubic size? I’m about to put a post on Facebook so people can BOLO for one. Another question, Zed: did you place a battery powered fan in there to circulate? Thanks.

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:35 pm

f.sinagra wrote:
Zedman05 wrote:
f.sinagra wrote: I remember you posting that! Didn’t know you were turning it into a coolidor. So bad ass, Zed! Gonna keep an eye out for something like that now!

What’s the cubic size? I’m about to put a post on Facebook so people can BOLO for one. Another question, Zed: did you place a battery powered fan in there to circulate? Thanks.

Not sure on size, I believe 10 cuft.
Just a pile of Bovedas. Shelves are close enough together to not worry about a fan.
In my wine-a-dor I do also use Cigar Oasis just because opening the door to get my regular stuff out, in the winter, drops the humidity a bit. It has a fan in it, so it acts as air circulator as well. I place that Oasis 2 shelves down, so it can push air up.