Coolidor

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
The Banker
Churchill

Re: Coolidor

Post by The Banker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:54 pm

jledou wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:32 pm
I had to laugh about a bunch of men talking about women's fashion and then I cried because as a father of a teenager I knew exactly what you were talking about Image

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I tried to resist in the beginning but I know my wife now knows more about cigars, guns and beer than she ever thought she would. She's a good sport so I try to be too.

The Banker
Churchill

Post by The Banker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Help!
I can't get the chemical smell from the new cooler. I have tried the following:

-Put a activated charcoal bag in there for a week.
-Soaked the cooler for 72 hours with dawn, wiped with clean water, towel dried and air dried.
-Soaked the cooler for 72 hours with a bleach mix, wiped with clean water,towel dried and air dried.
-Packed with newspaper for 72 hours.

What else can I do?

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Call whomever you bought it from and return it for said reason?
Why DOES the moon follow the car?

The Banker
Churchill

Post by The Banker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:21 pm

I mean obviously I have a need for a cooler to store cigars. I'm going to continue to have the same issue with the new cooler i would replace this one with. How about a suggestion on how to get the smell out rather than being a dick?

akpreacher
Forum Denizen

Post by akpreacher » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:10 pm

The Banker wrote:I mean obviously I have a need for a cooler to store cigars. I'm going to continue to have the same issue with the new cooler i would replace this one with. How about a suggestion on how to get the smell out rather than being a dick?
Two thoughts

1. Wash with a good baking soda mixture
2. Set it out in the sun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 am

The Banker wrote:I mean obviously I have a need for a cooler to store cigars. I'm going to continue to have the same issue with the new cooler i would replace this one with. How about a suggestion on how to get the smell out rather than being a dick?
I put a bunch of cedar from broken cigar boxes in mine. Seemed to help get rid of the smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke on!

The Banker
Churchill

Post by The Banker » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks fellas. I'll give those a shot. I had a box of baking soda in with the charcoal so I have some anyway. I'll give it a scrub today and see how that goes.

I bought some cedar sheets to glue on the inside so if the baking soda doesn't work I'll sacrifice a few of those.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:44 pm

The Banker wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:21 pm
I mean obviously I have a need for a cooler to store cigars. I'm going to continue to have the same issue with the new cooler i would replace this one with. How about a suggestion on how to get the smell out rather than being a dick?
Banker, I’d like to say something before I address your issue.
DC has been a respectful and respected member of this community since before Half Ashed was even a glimmer in either Kip or my eye. I am 100% positive that his response was not meant in a disrespectful way. In fact, I think he may be correct. Also, this forum is a bit of a (cliche) safe space. No one here is a troll or dick to anyone else. As such, it’s a smart move to *always* give the benefit of a doubt here. Text can look deceiving but our community never is. It’s an awesome place.
Now, coolers are often made with three types of plastic. Some of them are not good safe. High and low density polyethylene and polypropylene are the main types. Sometimes you can get a polystyrene unit and it should be returned. It will not stop offgassing in my experience.
Finally, put your cigars in heavy wall foood safe plastic bags until you get this sorted out. That’s the safest temp storage you can find while sorting this out.
Ps- zip loc type bags can often smell too. It’s not necessarily a bad thing.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:31 pm

The only way to speed up getting rid of the smell would be sunshine and opening to air (leave it outside with the lid open for a few days), even then be patient. Temp storage in some zip locks and Tupperware will hopefully get you by until the cooler is ready.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

815DC
Curmudgeon In Training

Post by 815DC » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:38 pm

The Banker wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:21 pm
Ok heres the deal. First no big, but after reading all the things you tried I honestly did think that either
A: You got a dud- I see this in Amazon comments on canteens to coolers to those memory foam mattresses.
or
B: It was that weird "right kind of materials" thing Craig was talking about.
Thats why I suggested calling the seller to complain about the smell. Sorry if in your moment of need my quick reply was misinterpreted.

Now with that out of the way. If the other suggestions don't work and you want to try something that will take a bit of time your going to need to get some stupid cheap cigars for step 1
Something like these:https://www.holts.com/cigars/all-cigar- ... shelf.html
You want a bigger size cuz its about filling the bottom of the cooler.

Step1 Take the cheap sticks out of their cello and lay them in the cooler filling at least the bottom of the cooler.

Step 2 is optional you can throw in some cedar and the like
Step 3 throw in 1 Boveda pack (aslo optional)

Step 4 leave the cooler shut for a month letting those cheapo sticks absorb any off smells while giving off something of a tobacco smell.

After the month open her up.. if the thing still stinks.. sorry man I honestly don't know what to tell you. The cigars themselves? they were just there to break in the cooler and never meant to be smoked-pitch em.

Hope any of these things work said by me or others and good luck.
Why DOES the moon follow the car?