Double dipping?

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Double dipping?

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:15 pm

A few weeks ago, someone mentioned smoking two cigars at once. I've thinking about it and comparing it to eating a meal. For me and, I think, most people, we don't eat large helpings of one part of a meal all at once. Rather, we eat a bite or two of one item and then switch to something else before returning. The flavor contrast and textural differences aid in our enjoyment of the food. So, why not do something similar with cigars? Finding a good combination of heavy and lighter flavors, or even ring sizes can certainly aid in our perceptions, and the combination of flavors may also enhance each other. I tried it tonight coming hme from the golf course and find it quite enjoyable to have a small, strong cigar with a larger, milder one. Give a try. Perhaps we'll get a new "pairings" thread, but with different brands as opposed to which beverage goes with which cigar.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: Double dipping?

Post by IWinchester » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Interesting...I don't think I could do it alone as I'm usually reading a book or supervising children, but I've done it in groups before.
My dad, my brother and me sampled 2 of the Smoking Monk sticks together (IPA and Hefeweizen) along with 3 bombers of each variety of beer. We rotated drinks and cigars around the circle and had a great time finding our favorites.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:46 am

Ashton used to do events like this - and they were amazing. They gave out 3 different cigars, and had you light the first. Smoke for 5 minutes at your regular pace, then put it down and light the 2nd...for 5 minutes. Put that one down and light the 3rd for 5 minutes. Then, go back through the flight in reverse order. The ways that the flavors presented were *radically* different the second time through. I highly recommend it. I was absolutely blown away at how different these cigars were.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Every one of these posts in the thread are great.

Mike, I love the idea but have experimented in the past with negative results. The flavors were never the issue. The Nicotine was. After I finish one cigar I rarely want to immediately light up a second. Having two at once generlly takes me out of the comfort zone too early. I'm just not professional enough.

Ian, I absolutely love doing this. I've not done it with the Smoking Monk sticks you mention (are those the Drew Estate ones from last year?) but I've had very fun expereinces on an occasion or two. Many guys slobber on the head (no jokes, Michael) and many more are convinced they'll catch a disease sharing a stick with another heterosexual man. This adds up to very few opportunities to enjoy multiple with multiple people. As I've said many times before, collaborative reviews are my favorite type. Literally smoking the same cigar takes that to an entirely new level.

Kip, I've been at those. At the IPCPR where the ESG came out the Ashton dinner had a banquet hall full of people doing it at once. Very cool. I also went to the "Taste of Excellence" dinners on one or two occasions when Manny Ferrara was still alive and running them. I adored it. Truly a great experience. My last one was just after the Mi Amor was released. That's actually when I bought my box of the OR Mi Amor's that we smoked on the show last year.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:16 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:Every one of these posts in the thread are great.

Ian, I absolutely love doing this. I've not done it with the Smoking Monk sticks you mention (are those the Drew Estate ones from last year?) but I've had very fun expereinces on an occasion or two. Many guys slobber on the head (no jokes, Michael) and many more are convinced they'll catch a disease sharing a stick with another heterosexual man. This adds up to very few opportunities to enjoy multiple with multiple people. As I've said many times before, collaborative reviews are my favorite type. Literally smoking the same cigar takes that to an entirely new level.
They are the DEs from last year. Not officially mentioned, but I'm pretty sure there's some pipe tobacco and/or infused leaves in a couple of them, but not nearly enough to turn me off. The sampler is pretty cheap, and I'd recommend them just for the fun of it