According to...

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

According to...

Post by f.sinagra » Tue May 03, 2016 6:03 pm

The Cigar Authority, Oliva has been sold to General -- allegedly.

If the rumors are true, what are your thoughts on this, Kip, Craig, and everyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Re: According to...

Post by f.sinagra » Tue May 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Rumor has since been denied, but Barry did bring up a good point: DE did the same thing prior to being sold.

Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue May 03, 2016 7:18 pm

I think the rumor of who's doing the buying has been denied. Still lots of hubbub about the rest of the story. I suppose we'll see in the next few days....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue May 03, 2016 7:19 pm

DE threatened a lawsuit against a media outlet reporting on the sale before it was public and forced them to take down the story under the threat....and the article turned out to be 100% true.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Wed May 04, 2016 7:25 am

In most corporate sale agreements the parties may not disclose anything or talk about the sale until all of the papers have signatures. Part of this is because until the agreements are final the companies really are not sold and could remain independent businesses if the talks break down and both sides don't finalize the sale.

On thoughts of the sale ... It seems like Oliva is stale right now and while still a high quality cigar, it is not something that is drumming up a lot of talk. Seems like most of their new cigars lately have been house blends for CI and Famous so the sale to general would not be far fetched.

Cigar_Coop
Petit Robusto

Post by Cigar_Coop » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:31 am

My take...

Let's be clear. This was not reported as rumor, it was reported as fact. However, the problem was that no sources were given, thus giving the story no legs. I would have had less of a problem with this story if it was stated as "rumor". It was not. The author got exposed when a competitive website (Halfwheel) actually went to validate the story and they got quotes of both denying them.

This type of journalism gives journalism a bad name - and it's disappointing.