Speed vs. Time

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Speed vs. Time

Post by Zedman05 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:16 pm

I have been asking in the other post about speed of smoking and decided it was something that was derailing that thread.

I am interested in time of smoking and the way that you go about it.
So do you guys who smoke faster than me sit and hold the cigar the whole time, or do you lay it down ? I am imagining that you guys must hold onto it to keep that pace. I always lay it down when I am smoking by myself. I rarely hold it. I think this keeps me from puffing too fast. I also pull on it, let out the smoke, then re-pull on it again and either blow it all out or blow most out and then retrohale. Half the time the cigar needs that first draw just to get the embers back to full, half the time it is just habit.
Do you guys puff muliple small pulls ?
Do you only draw once ?
Do you "touch up" your cigar constantly if the burn gets even slightly off on one side ?

Basically, I am trying to figure out whether smoking faster is based on how many draws per minute, how hard you draw, if you are constantly holding it ( causing you to concentrate on smoking it more ).

Another question is; do you think you could change your habits and enjoy cigars as much ? If you are a faster smoker, do you think you could slow down and have to push your time frame longer ? Would that cause an issue ? Do you just enjoy cigar flavors at that smoking speed vs. maybe the opposite way that you may have tried already ?
I know that I personally like the longer time it takes me as I have more time to myself. I don't think I could afford to smoke more cigars in the same time frame I have :D

Cigar F^iend

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Speed vs. Time

Post by f.sinagra » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:58 pm

I'm a slow smoker. I really like to take my time when time allows it. If I know I don't have that much time to smoke something, I'll have a petit on-hand, or something I know that'll burn fast.

As for smoking style, I'm a "puff-set down-purge-puff again" type of guy. I'm conscious of not allowing myself to do the "two pull" routine. I hate the feeling, and I used to get this a lot in the past, of getting to the midway point and feeling my cigar get a little spongey.

I touch up constantly, and I thank my OCD for that. I had to pull over on the highway because my cigar's burn was wonky and I couldn't focus on the road!

Sum it all up: I'm a slow smoker, a "pull-a-minute" type of guy, OCD touch-upper, and am always feeling the cigar -- an inch or two away from the burn -- to see if it's soft. If it's soft, I'll most likely set it down, (feel disappointed in doing so) and light something else up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

smokinsteve
The Generous

Re: Speed vs. Time

Post by smokinsteve » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:30 pm

I don't have a table on my apartment balcony so I always hold my cigar the whole time I'm smoking it. I find that even when I smoke at my local B&M I don't set my cigar down. I like the feel of the cigar in my hand. Holding on to it adds to the experience for me. I typically do one short puff then 1-2 subsequent longer puffs each time I take a draw. I always blow most of the smoke out and then retro the remainder, like you do Zed. I do touch up the burn line as needed. I don't like an un even burn. I enjoy the flavors of a somewhat hotter burning cigar. I have experienced the flavors of a cigar when it almost goes out and I'm not a fan of those. Maybe I tend to smoke quickly to avoid that. But, I've also done the opposite of smoking one too fast and getting it way too hot. I believe that my fast smoking is part of my personality. Im of the type that doesn't like to sit still for very long. Patience is not one of my strengths. I smoke certain cigars slower. I find that if I'm just sitting on my porch and only smoking, ill blaze through a cigar. If I add a distraction to the mix like reading or watching netflix on my laptop (as long as its not in the middle of the summer in Houston) ill smoke a bit slower. I was just thinking about trying to set my timer and making my self get at least an hour or more out of a robusto. I honestly don't think I would enjoy doing that. I suppose I could try it. It would have to be on a day where my patience is at an all time high and Im one with the universe :lol: :lol:

This is an interesting topic. Ive never analyzed my smoking habits this much before. Thanks for making me think about it Zedmad, and if I ever get to smoke a cigar with you, Ill make sure to bring 2 churchills for me
Smoke on!

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:34 pm

^^lol two churchills!

I smoke a robusto in about an hour and a half, coronas around an hour. I'm a two-puff guy, with a retrohale on both puffs of about 30-40% of the smoke.

I'm also the slow one of my little group. The guys I smoke with almost get through two toros by the time I'm done with my robusto.

I also hold the cigar most of the time. I set it down while grilling or reading as I don't like to hang it out of my mouth, but mostly I like to hold it.

I'll let a cigar try to self correct up to a half inch, but then I'm touching that sucker up!

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:10 am

I tend to hold the cigar in my hand all of the time unless I am working around the garage.

I would say most of the time my speed of smoking will really depend on the activity that I am doing ... if I have nothing else to focus my attention on the cigar will go quicker than if something else is distracting me and the cigar tends to be "forgotten" in between puffs.

I will also caution that the time a cigar takes varies more on the type of tobacco and the density of the roll when comparing the size of cigars. I have had some robustos go in 30 minutes and others take well over an hour. I would put myself in the medium (not fast not slow) category of smoker.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:39 pm

The reason I ask if you all touch up your cigars if the burn line goes off, is that I almost never do. I will "purge" or push air through my cigar to get the cherry back and then leave it for a minute. This usually helps get it back somewhat in line, then it usually straightens up somewhat close later. I am not super anal about it.
There are times when a cigar will just burn on one side no matter what. Usually it is a bad roll or a tunnel. Those suck and will always cause burn issues.

Cigar F^iend

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:32 am

Zedman05 wrote:The reason I ask if you all touch up your cigars if the burn line goes off, is that I almost never do. I will "purge" or push air through my cigar to get the cherry back and then leave it for a minute. This usually helps get it back somewhat in line, then it usually straightens up somewhat close later. I am not super anal about it.
There are times when a cigar will just burn on one side no matter what. Usually it is a bad roll or a tunnel. Those suck and will always cause burn issues.

Cigar F^iend

If it is bad enough then yes I will touch up the edge that is not burning. A lot depends on if it looks like it will catch up and even out in about a 1/4 to 1/2" down the cigar or if it looks like it never wants to catch up because of a fire proof wrapper or binder.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:45 pm

This is all helpful in learning which way we all do things and the resulting changes that are possible to try to experiment. I like to play around and try different methods all the time. It is fun.
I just started removing the top portion of the head to smoke instead of using a cutter a little while ago. Works like a charm. I don't ever use my cutter anymore unless it is a torpedo or such. It is fun to play around.

Thanks guys !

Cigar F^iend