Should we be hoarding?

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
CigarCity
Not just Varsity..CigarCity!

Should we be hoarding?

Post by CigarCity » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:21 am

Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it, but should we be stocking up on cigars that will be subject to the FDA regs? If this comes down the way it is written, then a lot of brands are likely to go away. Some may have the funds to go through the approval process, but others just may go the way of the Dodo. Is anybody out there building up their personal supply? I'm one of those one or two cigar a week guys so with the exception of a bundle or two from Ybor, I generally only buy one or two (or five) cigars per trip to the local B&M. Should I invest in a coolidor and go box hunting?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Should we be hoarding?

Post by Kip » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:04 pm

Always, whether under threat of unavailability or not. As long as the cigars can hold up to aging, do it as budget allows. If nothing else, it'll save you some dollars. The price generally doesn't go down....and neither do taxes. They'll not likely ever be cheaper than they are today.

I assembled my pipe tobacco collection when it ran $4.50-$5.00 per tin. Now those tins are $10-$11 at retail, largely because of tax increases.

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:05 pm

This is, actually, ONE of the reasons why I roll cigars at home and have a stored amount of loose leaf that can make me another 1000-1200 robustos when/if needed. An ounce of prevention...

Well, 60+ pounds of prevention.
Last edited by Stewmuse on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:41 pm

I have thought about this for at least 4 years now. I have seen it coming for you guys down south for years as it is a reality up here. I am having a hard time though, as my buy/smoke ratio is not as high as I would like, but I have been trying :D
It seems the more I get, the more I smoke. Also, your palate changes as time goes on too. I have a bunch of stuff that I have collected that isn't as great to me as I once thought. It is not bad, just not the first thing I reach for.

Cigar F^iend

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Should we be hoarding?

Post by f.sinagra » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:10 pm

Stewmuse wrote:This is, actually, ONE of the reasons why I roll cigars at home and have a stored amount of loose leaf that can make me another 1000-1200 robustos when/if needed. An ounce of prevention...
That is absolutely fantastic and awesome. Excellent idea, sir! Did you teach yourself to roll cigars? Are you blending as I type this? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:06 pm

f.sinagra wrote:
Stewmuse wrote:This is, actually, ONE of the reasons why I roll cigars at home and have a stored amount of loose leaf that can make me another 1000-1200 robustos when/if needed. An ounce of prevention...
That is absolutely fantastic and awesome. Excellent idea, sir! Did you teach yourself to roll cigars? Are you blending as I type this? Image
Actually, I was putting some wrappers on sticks that I rolled/bunched this AM. And yes, I am self-taught by watching YouTube videos of professionals doing it at factories. You can also see my "starring role" on episode 41 of the HA podcast about this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEoYwPPYZ4Y

Thanks and merry holidays!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:26 am

Well, 60+ pounds of prevention.
:mrgreen:
:lol:
Awesome...

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:32 am

I'll say this, the big boys won't go away. They can still sell "overseas" and online. Just like Cuban cigars being available, I'm sure Non-cuban will also from those companies large enough to survive the immediate loss of B&Ms. This doesnt' even take into account that we may not see this murder even take place. I've heard multiple rumors about Pepin being in financial disarray but I think that machine is large enough that it will keep itself moving, despite a major blow. Fuente should survive. I'm not sure about Altadis & General N/C brands because their ties to global trademarks from Cuba. I've heard Oliva is gaining European marketshare and some boutiques have talked about that market for a few years now. If anyone has been to Dortmund and the Euro cigar convention, I'd think they can offer up thoughts on companies likely to have a share overseas.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:23 am

You left out China....which I'd never even considered until recently. Apparently, they have a *sizable* demand for cigars, and judging by the number of manufacturers I saw posting pics from the recent Shanghai tradeshow, I'd say it hasn't gone unnoticed.

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:14 pm

In London I saw Tatuaje and Rocky Patel. Very odd combination...