Should we be hoarding?

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Re: Should we be hoarding?

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Kip wrote:You left out China....which I'd never even considered until recently. Apparently, they have a *sizable* demand for cigars, and judging by the number of manufacturers I saw posting pics from the recent Shanghai tradeshow, I'd say it hasn't gone unnoticed.

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country
Hong Kong is (I believe) the single largest cuban cigar destination in the world. To summarize a line from "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post Revolution Havana Cigars", MRN states that in Hong Kong a 10,000 cigar cellar is considered small...
Non-Cubans have next to zero presence here as the vast majority of cigars smoked are vintage.

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Re: Should we be hoarding?

Post by jledou » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:39 am

First thought I had when I read the title was "You aren't already hoarding?" :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness the best time to buy cigars is when they are sale, which if legislation is coming there will be fire sales everywhere. We saw a bunch right before S-Chip went through. I don't see them not giving some period of time to liquidate stock if that really is part of the final deal.

With regards to China, I would say it is a very young market and as with a lot of things in China you have to be very careful about authentic versus knockoff products. The majority that I have seen in China have been either fakes or not well cared for. Hong Kong is a completely different market than China. Really it cannot be compared to the rest of greater China.

Japan is actually a pretty good small cigar market that is rarely talked about. I can tell you they have more cigar friendly bars now than the US does.