Cigar cutter to buy

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Cigar cutter to buy

Post by f.sinagra » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:19 pm

Greetings all. My name is Frank. I'm a long time listener of the show, and I follow the forums regularly (but I never post).

I'm looking into getting a new cutter. Right now I have the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter. Don't get me wrong, the thing is excellent, but I'm getting tired of using the same old thing every day. I'm looking to switch it up.

So, I think I've come to the right place for some advice on a cutter to buy. All of you guys who participate in the forums are cigar people, so I would like to know what cutters you use, and why you would recommend it? I've never caught onto the Xikar cutter trend, although I use and love their lighters. Is it time to jump on the Xikar boat?

Sorry if this topic has been touched on before. I'm just looking for some recommendation. Thanks everyone!

P.S. I am looking into the Xikar XI2.

- Frank S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Cigar cutter to buy

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:53 pm

Welcome aboard, Frank. I don't get too caught up in the general accompaniments to cigars, but I have found, except for with torpedos, that I very much prefer a wedge cut vs. the straight cut. Just find an inexpensive brand that has the cut you prefer. Good luck!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Cigar cutter to buy

Post by IWinchester » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:55 pm

I really like my Palio, although I don't know how they'll be now that Quality Importers bought them out. If you can find an original though, I could recommend that.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:30 am

I'm more in line with Ian than Mike, regarding this. I like the clean uniformity of a guillotine cut and the Palio is 2nd to none.

smokinsteve
The Generous

Post by smokinsteve » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:23 am

I own 3 Xikar cutters. They have been used, abused and dropped. I haven't had a problem with any of them. They always give me a perfect cut. Never used a Palio

Smoke on!

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:03 am

I have both Palio and Xikar cutters and would recommend both to anyone.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:29 am

I think I've only purchased two cutters, the one here with Groucho on it (it has a solid back so you are always able to put the cigar in a safe distance, about 1/8") and a couple of plastic wedge cutters. The rest were gifts (even the blue Xicar, which I don't particularly like, as it feels totally wrong in the hand when using) or promo items. I probably get 3 or 4 each year this way. Yeah, some are crappy after a few uses, but I don't buy expensive stuff when the job is adequately done far more cheaply. Humbug!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (292.95 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

f.sinagra
Not Frank Sinatra

Post by f.sinagra » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:31 pm

smokinsteve wrote:I own 3 Xikar cutters. They have been used, abused and dropped. I haven't had a problem with any of them. They always give me a perfect cut. Never used a Palio

The one in the middle looks like the Xi2 that I'm looking to buy. Such a beautiful cutter. I think I should just pull the damn trigger and buy it already! :lol:
Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:03 am

I decided to survey what I had around, so I emptied the cutters from a drawer in my humidor. Here are my current cutters....which number more than I would have thought, especially knowing I've lost quite a few over the years. I'm comfortable with any style, but I typically reach for one of the Xikars. My original Palio broke (blades came unglued and fell out). The replacement seems dull and doesn't cut well. I've had to replace a couple of Xikar cutters over the years (messed up springs that actuate them). Disposable cutters wear quickly with constant use, but they are cheap and I'm not upset to lose one....but I go through them quickly. Punches are OK, but I'm not a huge fan of the cut. V-cut the same.

It all boils down to what you like, really. This question is hotly debated and, like so many other things, I don't think there's a pat answer that applies for everyone and every situation.

...sent by smoke signal from Cigar Country
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....