V-cutters

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
magste
Thor Down Under

V-cutters

Post by magste » Sat May 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Who uses a v-cutter regularly? If so which brand, Xikar or Colibri? I'm getting fond of the flavours and draw from a v-cutter but only have a cheap one off Cigarbid I brought to test. Looking to get a better one and the two above brands seem most popular these days, now that Boston cutters seem out of business. I need one that can cut 48 rg and above, not just 54plus.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: V-cutters

Post by Kip » Sun May 24, 2015 7:05 am

I don't use one regularly, but will on occasion. The one I settled on was an inexpensive ($12-14US) Wolf cutter. It feels cheap in the hand with a lightweight plastic body, but I was always happy with the cut.

I also have an antique scissor-style v-cutter that only fits about a 38-40 ring cigar. Love that thing, but can't use it for anything bigger.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:35 am

Never used one, but heard the Xikar one is the better of them all with its reverse angled cut.

Cigar F^iend

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:59 am

Not a huge fan of the V-cut. What are the types of differences you're experiencing?

magste
Thor Down Under

Post by magste » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:22 am

I feel Im getting a cleaner draw than from a straight cut. Less issues with the end being wet or blocked. Flavours are a bit more concentrated but not in the contracted way a bullet punch does.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:11 am

Very interesting. I've never been a fan of the V, primarily for the mouth feel. I do imagine that it concentrates a bit.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:09 pm

I've been using this V for a few months. What I really like is that it gives a very consistent, easy cut, since you press the end of the cigar onto the back wall. You never have to worry about the cut depth. Also, there are rarely any bits of tobacco floating around the cut line and into your mouth.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (175.36 KiB) Viewed 4476 times
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kenhorne21
Takin' the Bull by...

Post by Kenhorne21 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Just my two cents but I did an experiment a couple years ago with a V cut punch and straight cut and I found the best flavor from a known cigar to come from a straight cut. I will say I got more focused single flavor from a V or punch but lost complexity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Kenhorne21 wrote:Just my two cents but I did an experiment a couple years ago with a V cut punch and straight cut and I found the best flavor from a known cigar to come from a straight cut. I will say I got more focused single flavor from a V or punch but lost complexity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's very handy anecdotal evidence. Might have to give it a go

ERDoc
Petit Robusto

Post by ERDoc » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:49 pm

I love my Xikar V-cutter and use it almost exclusively. I dislike getting little flakes of tobacco in my mouth that I get with a straight cut. I haven't found much difference in flavor profiles between the two cuts. Additionally, I've heard that a v-cut can actually provide a greater surface area of draw when cut correctly.