Objective way of tasting?

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Objective way of tasting?

Post by Stewmuse » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:32 pm

kurtdesign1 wrote:And finally, ...

Sounds like we're in need of some procedure!
Yes. We are definitely in need of a procedure or two...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Whoa there fellers! I've had all the procedures I care for during the past 6 months. I'm not signing up for any more I don't have to get....
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:13 am

Wooo there cigar nerd ... do you really want a gas chromatograph on the smoke saying that there is X ppm of this chemical and y ppm of this chemical and then you can tell the exact "flavor" that you should receive from a cigar? Of course there are variables such as temperature of burn, air flow, humidity, etc that will affect the level of chemical production. Now we are talking about some multi-million dollar computer model and testing program for each cigar. In the end it comes back to smoke what you like. If it taste good to you then it's perfect.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:54 am

jledou wrote:Wooo there cigar nerd ... do you really want a gas chromatograph on the smoke saying that there is X ppm of this chemical and y ppm of this chemical and then you can tell the exact "flavor" that you should receive from a cigar? Of course there are variables such as temperature of burn, air flow, humidity, etc that will affect the level of chemical production. Now we are talking about some multi-million dollar computer model and testing program for each cigar. In the end it comes back to smoke what you like. If it taste good to you then it's perfect.
I get what you're saying but this isn't a black or white argument. I can smoke what I like AND want to know about what to expect with new cigars. That being said, you do imply an interesting side effect of the discussion; having the information could be a liability. If X carcinogen tastes like Y flavor, you could potentially be responsible for implying that the intake of a carcinogen is a "good" thing. That could get a little (lot) hairy.

Here's a "glass is half full" topic. If the FDA requires testing of cigars, could this possibly be a happy side effect of their testing? Could we have this information just by chance?

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:04 am

The FDA would probably catalog the chemical analysis but then it would be up to someone to reference which chemical is which flavor. I doubt the FDA releases that portion of information to the general public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 am

jledou wrote:The FDA would probably catalog the chemical analysis but then it would be up to someone to reference which chemical is which flavor. I doubt the FDA releases that portion of information to the general public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FOIA?

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:34 am

I imagine you could get it and research groups would ask for it to try to get more information to site in the anti-smoking studies. I just don't think they would readily publish it since the chemicals listed might not be favorable to public health but they are "approving" them as safe levels.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:32 am

It's the dose that makes the poison. Somehow our wackadoo American culture has lost sight of that. Many today simply classify the world into "toxic" or "not". It's hard to convince a misinformed person that there's a safe level of a compound they've previously seen as "toxic".

I know this is a rabbit trail shooting from jledou's post, but it's something I deal with constantly in my line of work, and a big pet peeve....
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

jledou
The 'Dou abides...

Post by jledou » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 pm

I agree Kip. Public opinion does not favor education, that is why companies don't tend to list the chemicals that are artificial flavors. The public wouldn't like it if they knew what made their candy taste like strawberry or drinks like they do. Most flavoring agents are esters or sulfates many made with benzene and sulfuric acid.

It would be to easy and not fit the anti smoking agenda to have the cigars listed as containing natural flavors.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:07 am

In all seriousness (and not meant to circle around for confusion sake), this doesn't have to be governmental. There are private labs which would do this sort of thing, I'm almost certain. Compounds could have multiple names (think vitamins) and be categorized in less-than-scientific ways so as to assist in flavor discernation. Call me a nerd but I think this could revolutionize multiple industries if this sort of objective analysis was brought to the forefront. Craft brewing, spirits (contains dozens of industries), wine, cheese, molecular gastronomy, just to name a few. I know there are hurdles but progression could result in the benefit of a lot of new cigars being enjoyed or avoided.