This Will Get People Pissed At Me RE: Cuba

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

This Will Get People Pissed At Me RE: Cuba

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:02 pm

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/ ... dustry.php

When you've got time read that article. It's wordy but thought provoking. Here are some of mine.
Is the hatred that Expatriated Cubans have for the Castro regime justified when it comes to impacting National U.S. politics? I am starting to think that it is not. This article puts a lot of colorful stories together in one location, making me think that maybe these Americans are just pissed off and not really AS interested in human rights for others, versus their own rights that were violated in the past. Am I the only one to voice this? Think this? I mean, why fight the violent and oppressive nature of the 26 de Julio movement and the subsequent revolution afterwards by being violent and oppressive to its current supporters? Aren't the vocal & (at times) violent Cubans in Miami essentially casting judgement on the Castro regime while they, at times, conduct damning attacks on their opponents? I don't judge the scale of the violence and oppression but the number affected shouldn't influence the political correctness of the act. Am I insensitive here? My moderate views are tilting further away from Miami for the first time. That is unexpected.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Re: This Will Get People Pissed At Me RE: Cuba

Post by IWinchester » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:21 pm

Really interesting article. I'm all for people fighting fire with fire (violence with violence) for a cause they believe in. However, when the retaliation is against a 3rd party and not the regime a person is fighting, that becomes unjustifiable in my mind. I think you're dead on here, Craig. I still sympathize with the expats, but I also think a change of policy was/is necessary regarding Cuba. If it becomes apparent the ruling party has no intentions of fixing human rights issues and stopping support of "terrorist states" then the U.S. will need to reevaluate.

Kid Corona

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:08 pm

I had a brief email discussion with a certain power of this website a few months back about why one should help another. My bottom line was that, essentially, the more people who are well off (not necessarily ina financial way) and are, at least, moderately happy, the better life will be for everyone. I think that grudges are usually pretty dumb things to perpetuate, especially when it 1) doesn't apply specifically to you, or 2) it is, in human terms, well in your past. Being angry is not good for moving forward. Do we, collectively, hate the Germans or Japanese? No, because we are better off forgiving than saying "ooh, you did a bad way thing way long ago."

Wanna move forward? Stop reliving the past as if it is current news.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:16 am

Stewmuse wrote:I think that grudges are usually pretty dumb things to perpetuate, especially when it 1) doesn't apply specifically to you, or 2) it is, in human terms, well in your past. Being angry is not good for moving forward. Do we, collectively, hate the Germans or Japanese? No, because we are better off forgiving than saying "ooh, you did a bad way thing way long ago."

Wanna move forward? Stop reliving the past as if it is current news.
Bravo, Michael. The world would be a better place if more people/societies followed your words. Sincerely.

I'm not an "eye for an eye" guy. There's a famous MLK quote that states something like "I don't support 'eye for an eye' reciprocation because it leaves us all blind to see how things turned out." I wouldn't call myself a pacifist but I'm not really a guy with a temper. Keeping my wits about me typically allows a situation to be assessed rather than reacted to prematurely. When that's the case, it's amazing how it is to avoid conflict.

As much as I believe and agree with Mike's perspective that I quoted above, I can "hear" the expat's saying that their battle is still going on. Castro is still in power and still violating the rights of millions. A blind eye could be an indirect acceptance of his regime. While I dont' think Mike is suggesting that, I do think that this is a root of the issue. Americans view this situation differently. Those in Miami (generalizing) think the wounds are raw and fresh and should be paid for. Those elsewhere think that our attempts at crippling the violent communist government have failed and we now should attempt a different strategy of assisting those affected by the Castros.

It's reactive versus proactive, with the proactive idea being detested because it does not cause anyone in power to be brought to charges for their atrocities. The emotional side of me feels for those personally impacted here. The logical side of me says that we can do nothing productive to fix the wrongs of our global past. We can think clearly and put in motion a chance to prevent future wrongs from occurring. That's where I am on this one. I've cast my vote. Fuck the Castro's and their vile nature over the past half century, but welcome them in open arms to show the value of stopping their wicked behavior.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Hadn't thought about this aspect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnoKUQ8Wu_Y
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:46 pm

Really cool video! I do hope that conservation and development can go hand in hand in Cuba.

Kid Corona