Cuba!?!

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Re: Cuba!?!

Post by Kip » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:25 pm

CigarSpurs wrote:
Kip wrote:...or did you mean commercially? There will still be NO commercial availability of Cuban goods.
Yeah. I meant I understand that you can order Cuban cigars online and they ship them to you IF they get through customs?
Are you saying you have brought back Habanos into US from other countries on your person? That was, and still is, illegal, correct?
I brought back cigars from other countries...not Cuba. I misunderstood your original post.

It will be legal (after the start date stemming from today's proceedings) to bring back up to $100 in Cuban tobacco/alcohol products, assuming you're visiting on an approved visa.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:57 pm

StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

CigarSpurs
Jingle. Jangle. Jingle.

Post by CigarSpurs » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 am

Kip wrote:I brought back cigars from other countries...not Cuba. I misunderstood your original post.
When you say "cigars" you mean Habanos, I assume? Wonder if you'll be legal to bring back that $100 worth from OTHER
countries or just from Cuba. And legal to have $100 worth shipped to you from Europe or Asia?

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:13 am

No. I have never brought back Cuban goods. As I mentioned before, I misunderstood your original post and thought you were drawing a comparison to normal personal import of tobacco products.

No - the new changes allow for you to bring it in personally. No commercial import. No bringing it back from other countries - ONLY if you've traveled to Cuba on your approved trip. No ordering and having them shipped.

The only way this will be legal as it stands now is to get approval to travel (humanitarian, diplomatic, educational trips) and bring back the goods with you.

Just a hillbilly, Tappin and a-Talkin

CigarSpurs
Jingle. Jangle. Jingle.

Post by CigarSpurs » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:27 am

Thanks, Kip. Sometimes this typing.......

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:49 am

Boy, oh boy, oh boy. I have thoughts on this and they are mostly positive.

Am I happy about the change? You can bet your ass, I am. Do I expect anything to be different for you and I in 100 days when things take effect (affect?)? No, I do not. The majority of people out there are keeping this in perspective but I've seen some facebook posts that talk about "finally" being able to get their hands on a Cuban, or "when will cubans be for sale at the tobacconist?" These posts are uninformed and potentially just a spur of the moment quip. I don't think the majority of citizens believe this is "it" in regards to the embargo. I DO believe this can be the beginning of the end of the embargo. It can also be the beginning of its strengthening if the next congress and next president are suited and like minded to claim Obama's declarations were not only incorrect, but helpful to an enemy.

Much will depend on Kerry's analysis of Cuba's status as a terrorist state and whether Cuba does truly lower some of the restrictions they have on contact to the outside world. If Cuba shows ANY legitimate human rights improvements (yes, the internet is a human right derived from free speech) there is a chance that this gains some momentum and the embargo could end after the next congress (Jan 2017) are sworn in. There is little to no chance this will occur in 2015 since the Republicans have taken power of the house. There would have to be SWEEPING change in Cuba for the likes of Rubio and others who want the 29 (27?) electoral votes in Florida to change their public opinion on this. It's just too critical of a voting base to alienate the Southern Florida core of Anti-Castro citizens.

If Kerry does not rescind the edict that Cuba is a state that assists terrorism (there is an official phrase here that I'm missing) OR major humanitarian improvements are not witnessed, I am fairly certain that the next president will swiftly and completely go the other direction with his ruling on the matter. Think Bush's change in 2002, I believe. He lowered the visit limit, removed the legality of "financial assistance" to Cuban family members and made it even more difficult to travel to the nation for aide workers. We could go right back there, if not even further.

Cuba, and its citizens, have been made more of a pawn in the recent years than they ever has been in the past. Even in the election of 64 when it was the first chance for a new administration to address the "blockade" as it essentially was in its initial form, it was not as polarizing of a topic as it became later in the Castro regime's tenure (I understand LBJ held office. It's speaking to the fact that it was not a point of contention between candidates). We have to realize that the goal here is an improvement of life for the citizens of our southern island neighbor. This is the first real attempt at improving that which I can recall. I am not an expert on the topic but I don't believe there have been public declarations from the POTUS as strongly worded as those shared Wednesday in regard to the failure of U.S. policy on the matter. There is a real chance that THIS declaration is enough. There is a real chance that Cuba will give a little in response. And there is a real chance that this may be a day we remember for the rest of our lives. It's possible the U.S. just got a little less hypocritical in its foreign relations (think human rights & the torture report). When a major government does that, we're all in a better position.

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:03 am

Effect.

Just a hillbilly, Tappin and a-Talkin

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:13 am

Oh, with Craig, I definitely think it's an "affect!" :D
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:25 am

Awesome analysis!!

Kid Corona

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:32 pm

The guys States side buying CC's already, I am speculating, are now scambling to figure out if they should buy as many cigars as they can (as they aren't sure the quality will remain the same for the first couple years of mad scramble for Cubans), or if it is not really going to change that much.
I am glad I got to go down the last couple trips and get as much as I could afford. I am not sure what this whole process is going to do for cigars, but I am HOPING that it helps the people of the island. I really don't think the Castros can keep the people down for too much longer the way the information can be spread now. Might as well try to look like a savior while you still have control....right....

Cigar F^iend