Well, how about that?

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Well, how about that?

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:23 pm

In general, I have paid only a peripheral amount of attention to what the leaves are in the cigars I regularly smoke. So, for the upcoming/ongoing blind swap we have here on the forum, I decided it might be smart to dig a bit into what I usually smoke to do some self-learning. I made a list of (non-casa trompeta) cigars (Torano Exodus 1959 gold, La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor, Don Pepin Garcia Blue Original, Torano Virtuoso, Nica Rustica, CAO Brazilia, and Oliva Series V) that I smoke regularly and some that I also just like a lot (Camacho Ecuador, R y J Reserve Maduro, Perdomo Reserve Champagne, Alec Bradley Tempus, Paul Stulac Red Screaming Sun, and Ezra Zion Tantrum), and then looked up their blends. I was not surprised that Nicaraguan tobacco was part of the show, given my preference for Pepin cigars, but I was surprised that ALL of these cigars featured or contained Nicaraguan fillers. I think that is probably a good thing for the consistency of my palette, tho it will most likely not help me in deciphering what's in the sticks (50-100 from the bottom shelf, right Kip?) ;) that I receive. Unless, of course, I get sent Nicaraguan sticks and I just love the heck out of them! So... what are the leaves which seem to "do it" for you?
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Well, how about that?

Post by Stewmuse » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Ooops... MOST ALL. The Camacho Ecuador does not have Nic leaves, but 10 of the 15 were all Nicaraguan fillers.
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm all over the map. Although when I looked at my regular smokes (Tats and padrons) it's clear Nica is the heaviest, I also smoke a lot of Fuentes and other Dominican blends. Then there's alec Bradley and others that feature Honduran tobaccos. I say 50% Nica, 30% DR, 15% Honduran, and 5% Cuban/Peruvian/Costa Rica, etc

Kid Corona

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:52 pm

IWinchester wrote:......I also smoke a lot of Fuentes and other Dominican blends. .......
I'll let you in on something. The Fuentes use a metric butt-load of Nicaraguan tobacco. In fact, they were at one time the biggest consumer of Nicaraguan tobacco on the planet (years ago). They still use stuff from Ecuador, Cameroon (yes, real Cameroon; I have an interesting story about that), Indonesia, Nicaragua, the DR....and more that I'm sure I've forgotten. Not sure about Honduran, but wouldn't doubt it.

People assume (and put into print) that they're all or predominantly Dominican tobacco. For the most part, they don't say a word about what's in their cigars. The Opus is the only DR puro they've "officially" publicized, I believe.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Chalk up another tally for Nicaragua!

Kid Corona

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:53 am

GREAT question!
I'm sitting at my desk so I am really just shooting from the cuff but I think if I was to go by a straight tally of tobacco origins, I'd be right there with you. I love Cuba, love it, but I just don't smoke enough for it to be on top. If I had my druthers, well, that might change. Right now I'd say Nica, Cuba and then the DR. I don't reach for Mexico, Brazil, CR, Hondo, Cam, Indo, Peru, Colom, etc. Some people love em, I love certain cigars with em. Those cigars are the exception to the rule, only. I do love the nuances and specific flavors that only seem to be available from certain Dominican tobaccos, but they don't seem to be as common as the flavors from the DR that don't drive me wild. I guess the same can be said for Nica & Cuba but it seems those (not my preferred) flavors are less common in these two countries.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Nicaragua/Cuba for the tops. It all depends on my mood for what I want, but so too does my humidor fluctuate with time. I know that this is the fiest time since I started collecting cigars seriously that I have a higher number of Cubans than non, but at least half those are put away for aging and not smoking. Only a handful of non cuban boxes are put away for storage now, because on average they are good to go and at their prime now.

Cigar F^iend

CigarSpurs
Jingle. Jangle. Jingle.

Post by CigarSpurs » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Nic puros for me.

Steve D.
Piper in Progress

Post by Steve D. » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:39 am

San Andreas wrappers! I know the impact of the wrapper can be debated, but a SA wrapper is the best indicator of my potential enjoyment. Perhaps blenders fall into a certain pattern with a SA wrapper. Interesting thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:31 am

Steve D. wrote:...Perhaps blenders fall into a certain pattern with a SA wrapper. Interesting thought.
Very.
I think it lends itself to a certain type of blend (the SA wrapper, that is). You're not putting it on a mild or overly sweet/soft blend. The cigar will be out of balance. I think this is probably the wheelhouse where we find brilliance though. When someone CAN expand the acceptable realm of blending they're probably held in higher regard. Again, thinking of a food analogy, steak and mushrooms is a known combination. If someone could pair steak with bean sprouts (in a manner that was cohesive and just as enjoyable) they'd be regarded as revolutionary, having expanded the realm of regularly accepted profiles. JMHO though. I tend to think that the consumable markets all have crossover. Spirits, cheese, wine, tobacco, cuisine, etc.