Cuba trip

Whatever floats yer boat....as long as it's cigar related.
Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Cuba trip

Post by Zedman05 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Week long trip to Varadero with the family was a success. I have gone twice before, so I knew what was in store. There are certain things you don't know about unless you have been, or know someone who has been; like pictures don't tell the whole story. Pictures are great, but what you might miss is what's surrounding that picture, like dillapidation and disrepair. I love the people, and all the cigar-type fun, but the country has the typical carribean/central american laid back theme. I basically sum it up in one phrase " meh, not a priority". I don't believe it would change much if they opened up their borders, but I have seen things and heard things that are pointing in that direction.
Either way, it was a fun trip for the family, and of course the cigar trip was good. I made a day trip into Havana to get some much needed shopping done, and visit a couple shops. This trip was about the custom rolls.
I would recommend it to everyone, but don't expect things to be as grand as they appear.

Reynaldo and I at the Hotel Conde de Villenueva LCDH. I grabbed as much of his regular sized cigars as I could. They are rolling big ass cigars here. Not much under a robusto ring guage other than the corona gordas, which I grabbed all of what they had. I know next time to phone ahead...

Hotel Comodoro LCDH

Alejandro Gonzalez Arias and I at the shop. He is the roller there. Rolled me 3 lonsdales to smoke while shopping and for my holiday, and a Trinidad Fundador sized lancero to try once he knew I was buying a couple of boxes.

And the score. I had a successful trip. Didn't find any new EL's yet, as they weren't in the shops, but found a couple boxes of Fundadors that were from Jul '11. Had to grab them as they can't be found anywhere right now.

Cigar F^iend
Last edited by Zedman05 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Re: Cuba trip

Post by Stewmuse » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks, Zed. Glad you enjoyed yourself!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

IWinchester
I got the 4-0-6

Post by IWinchester » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:56 am

Very cool! Thanx for sharing the pictures

Kid Corona

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:54 am

La Escogida. That's a new one to me.
You're right, you just can't grasp it until you're there. I've never been but with every story or log I read, I'm captivated by something else. Were all your "customs" by Reynaldo and all the CGs? I've not had that vitola from him. Actually, I don't know if I've had his standard blend. Did you only visit him once or did you tweak his blending at all and pick up a bundle customized for you? Awesome awesome awesome!

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:15 am

Canonazos and Corona Gordas from Reynaldo. Standard blend. I didn't phone ahead, which I now know that I need to haha. I found out that another Canadian went down there a couple days before me and bought all kinds of stuff, and cleared out the regular stuff.
The Lonsdale bundles and Cononazo full bundle were tweaked to be "fuerte". I phoned ahead and asked for a bit stronger. One whole leaf instead of half a leaf of ligero. They were from the Comodoro.
Lonsdales

And Canonazos from Escogida
Cigar F^iend

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Love the pics, Zed. On a selfish note, I'm glad to see that the store-rolled sticks don't look much different than mine! Congrats on the journey and cigar haul!
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

Zedman05
Manitas pequeñas
Manitas pequeñas

Post by Zedman05 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:47 am

I told you Cuba was preparing for changes. Not "tooting my own horn", because I owe it to the people I talked to, but the embargo will fall soon enough. Get yo shyt while ya can ! I am stocking up as much as possible. Getting ready for the next couple years of boom time (crappy, rushed production).
As far as what I personally predict; Cuba will not let their tobacco go outside their country willingly to be blended with NC tobaccos. I can see that they will start blending with NC tobaccos inside Cuba for export, so that they can make more money. No way they are giving up their little gold mine.

Cigar F^iend

Kip
International Hillbilly
International Hillbilly

Post by Kip » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 am

Zedman05 wrote:As far as what I personally predict; Cuba will not let their tobacco go outside their country willingly to be blended with NC tobaccos. I can see that they will start blending with NC tobaccos inside Cuba for export, so that they can make more money. No way they are giving up their little gold mine.
This was my initial thought, and I still believe that's what will take place. However, I also know money talks...so they could sell some tobacco at a high enough premium to be sure other companies aren't able to make cigars that will undercut Cuban production. Knowing their production limits, though, I'd say it will be hard to pry raw tobacco out of their hands.
White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise....

Stewmuse
Horn Tootin' Torcedor

Post by Stewmuse » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:57 pm

What? No (unrolled) Cuban tobacco to be sold? Thats it. Crush my dreams...
StewMuse
Stay smokey, my friends.

kurtdesign1
Not a potted meat guy...
Not a potted meat guy...

Post by kurtdesign1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:06 pm

Stewmuse wrote:What? No (unrolled) Cuban tobacco to be sold? Thats it. Crush my dreams...
There is already a black market for this. They don't legally sell it now but I know of 4 cigars made with it already. Only two are available commercially and neither is publically discussed as containing it.